Jennifer's Reviews > Frost

Frost by Kate Avery Ellison

2951978
May 28, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, reviewed, romance, dystopian, ya

I was introduced to Ellison's writing with "The Curse Girl," a YA revamp of Beauty and the Beast. And at long last, I was able to read the first in her epic series, the "Frost Chronicles." From the beginning, we are introduced to the bleak, frozen world of The Frost, where monsters stalk the forests. The people live in a time apart, avoiding technology so as not to upset the Watchers.
While there is plenty of adolescent drama and hints of love triangles to satisfy most girls, Ellison brings it to the next step. Not only does she give you hope in the midst of her characters' desolation, but she gives us the gift of a sensible heroine. Lia Weaver must put aside her youth to care for her crippled twin brother and ditsy sister. She has blocked out many of her emotions in order to become strong. When love knocks on Lia's door post, she doesn't swoon and lose herself in the romance. She keeps her focus on what's most important, her family and people.
Frost leaves you with many questions, such as the origins of the Watchers, the fate of our hero and above all, what challenges the Weaver's will face next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frost.

May 28, 2012 – Shelved