Jamie's Reviews > Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time

Never Eat Alone by Keith Ferrazzi

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012

2.5 stars. What I liked: The book has some helpful pointers for those who are shy or who are not inclined to engage with strangers. I would recommend it for new professionals. I think it is also helpful that the author emphasizes that it isn't easy, or natural, even for extroverts to put themselves out there all the time. I also appreciated that he shared some of his rejections, showing that even the best networkers strike out sometimes.

What I didn't like: Sometimes the author is too braggy , which is off-putting. I thought I was going to relate to his blue collar background, but all of his bragging came across as trying too hard to prove himself. Some of his tactics sound highly obnoxious and I doubt he understands how they come across. Who, upon landing from a flight, calls an acquaintance to say "I'm in town but I don't have time for you". Really? I very much doubt his assertion that the friend will just be glad to hear from you at all. I would immediately delete this person from my contacts.

I'm also not sure I agree with his claim that you should get personal quickly. Nothing screams "needy" like someone sitting next to me at a conference who wants to talk to me about a recent breakup. I guess "personal" is very relative.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eat Alone.