Angie's Reviews > City of Angels

City of Angels by Sheralyn Pratt

May 28, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

This was a very quick and mostly really enjoyable and engaging read. If I could give it 3 1/2 stars I probably would. I felt a little confused by the infusion of the main character's religious conversion into the overall story. I mean I knew it was written by an LDS author but I didn't expect so much Mormonism infused into the story for some reason. I really enjoyed the two separate stories (the case Rhea was trying to crack AND her personal conversion) it just felt a little forced to include them together in this book. I'll be the first to admit that I've read very little fiction by LDS authors so I don't know if conversion stories in them are the norm. I *LIKED* Rhea's conversion story. I thought her unique perspective as someone who chases evidence for a living was cool and it led to some great dialogue between Rhea and the elders. I just guess I wasn't prepared to be reading scriptures and gospel doctrine mixed in with a mystery fiction. It mostly caught me off guard.

I was also so eye-twitchingly irritated and distracted by the numerous editing errors that I couldn't enjoy the book as much as I may have otherwise. Still, it kept me up ridiculously late last night as I kept saying "just one more chapter" and finally "there's only a few chapters left... I may as well just finish it."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Angels.

Lise Hear! Hear! on the editing issue! As far as LDS doctrine in a work of fiction - it varies, some include it and some don't. It shouldn't come as a surprise, though. Check out her other books - I think you'll like them. I'll be watching for your reviews.

Cathy What do you mean by editing errors? I read the book and didn't see any errors and I'm a secretary. Maybe I overlooked them, I don't know.