AndrewP's Reviews > Tigana

Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay

May 28, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, group_sword-and-laser

This book had some very good ratings and reviews but I found it a real struggle to finish and not really worth the effort.

Guy Gavriel Kay helped Christopher Tolkien edit the Simarillion, so he comes with some high pedigree as a writer. He has a very literary style and his prose is very elegant and descriptive. Unfortunately that's where this book falls down. All the beautiful prose just gets in the way of the story, what little story there is that is. Many times in the book the story would pick up only to become bogged down in the minutia until I lost interest. By the end this felt more like a school reading assignment than something I read for pleasure. If it was edited down by several hundred pages it might work a lot better. As it stands I would describe it as a GOWI book (Get On With It).

In addition, the story is very simplistic and has a lot of inconsistencies that left me feeling the author really never thought about how it was all supposed to fit together. There is a big plot hole that slapped me in the face early on and was made even worse in the ending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigana.

May 28, 2012 – Started Reading
May 28, 2012 – Shelved
June 1, 2012 –
page 120
June 7, 2012 –
page 260
June 13, 2012 –
page 400
59.44% "I hope something happens soon!"
June 15, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 15, 2012 – Shelved as: group_sword-and-laser
June 23, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mario (new)

Mario Zecca But we can thank the author for giving you ammo to write a very entertaining review Andrew!!! hahaha.

message 2: by AndrewP (last edited Jun 29, 2012 10:38AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

AndrewP Trust me, you wouldn't have the patience for this one.

But I can mail to you if you insist:)

message 3: by Mario (new)

Mario Zecca Thanks, I will pass and wait for the movie trilogy. ha ha.