Tanja Berg's Reviews > The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition): How Net Promoter Companies Thrive in a Customer-Driven World

The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition) by Fred Reichheld

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: business

As the company I work for uses NPS (net promoter score), I figured reading a book about it would be useful and fill in some blanks. The "ultimate questions" in customer satisfaction is this: "would you recommend us to a friend?" The scale is 0 to 10, where the customers who tick in 9 or 10 are called promoters, the once who give 7 and 8 are called passives and the ones giving a score of 6 or below are called detractors. This is a score of excellence, because exactly how good does a company or rendered service have to be before you recommend it? I am a net promoter of only a handful of companies, but in turn I am unfailingly loyal to these. Besides, 80% of the customers who left a company for the benefit of competitor said they were "satisfied". So clearly the traditional methods of measuring customer satisfaction is not hitting the mark.

This book puts into words what I burn for every day - to give every customer a little something extra. It's not easy, I am bombarded with input and responding to everyone in a timely fashion can be difficult. I try though. The only service which gets remembered is that which was extra-ordinary and the bad. The merely "good" is quickly forgotten. So yes, I strive to be extra-ordinary and this book pats my back and tells me I'm on the right track.

The thing about measuring and closing the loop with customer is definitely something that could be improved though. Customer-centricity needs to be at the heart of everyone and not just one or two front-line employees. This is the only way to grow in the long run. The brilliant thing about NPS is that the score can be broken down into metrics and actual dollars. You can measure how much a promoter is worth or how much a detractor pulls you down. For this to happen, there has to be a large customer base responding to the question and honestly. NPS is brilliantly simple at the same time as it is nuanced and complex. The ultimate question touches the heart of whether customers are loyal or not. This is a book everyone who works toward other people should read. Unless you work in a basement with no human contact, you need to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ultimate Question 2.0 (Revised and Expanded Edition).

May 28, 2012 – Started Reading
May 28, 2012 – Shelved
May 28, 2012 – Shelved as: business
May 28, 2012 –
page 61
21.03% "Getting the details on net promoter score. Interesting stuff."
May 30, 2012 –