Christine's Reviews > My Boyfriend Merlin

208836
May 28, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, 2012, young-adult-and-chidren-fiction-rec

My Boyfriend Merlin is certainly a breath of fresh air when it comes to young adult fantasy books. Instead of focusing on your usual werewolf/vampire fantasy novels, the author uses Arthurian legend which is something I truly appreciated. I want this book to be read amongst the usual young adult reader population because I want Arthurian legend to be popular again! I remember watching The Sword and the Stone with my dad and my sister and I religiously watch the BBC show Merlin so I may be a little biased :). The basis of using Merlin as one of the main characters will let readers want to know more about the legend which is why I hope that this book will gain a lot of popularity.

First things first, the title is a little corny and it was a really cheap buy ($1.99) so if it didn't involve my love for Arthurian legend, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. The pacing was a little too fast for me in the beginning, but the action was non-stop throughout the main plot of the book which I did love. I'm not a huge fan of love triangles, but I would understand why the author would include them so it can appeal to young adult readers. The whole rivalry between Merlin and Vane's love for Ryan was really cheesy to me. While the romance aspect wasn't appealing to my tastes at all, the plot, mystery and action itself will keep me reading the rest of the series in the future. I found it to be a good book for teenage readers who want to indulge in something other than super trendy fantasy plots.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Boyfriend Merlin.