Nate D's Reviews > The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs

The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs by Irvine Welsh

Sep 24, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2008, britain
Recommended for: People who have already read the better Welsh like Trainspotting and Glue.

With Ulysses done, I need to read something fast, entertaining, pulpy. Thanks, Irvine Welsh.

This brow-leaping habit may be genetic. My mom apparently read Salem's Lot (King) right after Anna Karenina (Tolstoy).

...

Finished. Enjoyable, but a bunch of issues make this a clumsier Welsh effort overall:
1. Guessed crux of climactic plot reveal in first 100 pages, and sort of knew how things would end.
2. There were likeable characters, but not so much the main protagonists/antagonists (okay, hardly unique for Welsh, but Glue was so human that I hope for more now.
3. Inconsistent perspective never justified in any reasonable way.
4. Felt need to spell out the theme not once but twice, where tangential evidence had already sufficed.
5. Dialect toned down in a manner that makes me suspect Welsh was shooting for wider readability. But I've always enjoyed the dialect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs.

message 1: by Dkdorr (new)

Dkdorr If the brow-leaping habit is genetic, he gets it all from the maternal side. I'm finishing up David Douglas's "William the Conqueror: The Norman Impact Upon England" and am about to jump into Prothero's "Evolution: What the Fossils Say and Why It Matters" to add to my store of anti-fundamentalist literature (The End of Faith, The God Delusion, Letters to a Christian Nation and Hichens' excellent God Is Not Great.) I'm no snob - I was enjoying Harold Robbins at 13 - but non-fiction(well-selected)can be a tonic. Given Nate's wide-ranging and prolific reading habits, we'll permit the occasional drivel to freshen him up for the next foray into the likes of Ulysses. I'd say give it about two years before your next obscure and weighty tome.
Deke Dorr
PS - We don't remember which grade you were in when your above photo was taken - was that the 3rd or 4th grade?
PSS Happy Birthday.

Nate D You do realize, don't you, that you can list the books you're reading right in your account? Not that I'm not glad to hear about them.

Irvine Welsh, for all his occasional pulpiness, has written some actually excellent novels, Trainspotting for instance. This just wasn't really one of them.

The picture? It's Ricky Gervais, creator of the British Office back when he was in a new wave band.