Jon's Reviews > Icons

Icons by Margaret Stohl

bookshelves: dystopia-post-apocalyptic, aliens, science-fiction

Check out more of my reviews!
I'm a huge fan of Beautiful Creatures and all of the other books in the Caster Chronicles series. When I heard of Icons, I was extremely excited because I was so excited to see how Margaret Stohl would fare without Kami Garcia. Stohl blew me away with Icons and it exceeded any expectations I had.

It's so hard to express how much I loved Icons in one short review. Margaret Stohl tosses out all of the generic alien stories and creates her own original alien mythology. All of the world building and alien mythology is like nothing I've ever read about! The aliens (or should I say, The Lords) are not your typical aliens at all, they don't say "Take me to your leader" or hyperbeam people into their ships.

Icons is more of a dystopian novel than paranormal book even though it's about aliens. I would have liked to read more about Earth before the Day but otherwise I really enjoyed this book. I love how Stohl used documents, letters, and posters to help advance the story. I definitely didn't expect any of the plot twists and that left me completely shocked. Icons is a fast-paced, fantastic dystopian novel that will leave you desperate for the sequel.

Even though Stohl creates a sort-of love triangle, she doesn't overly emphasis the romance. The romance is definitely a component of Icon's plot but it doesn't slow down the plot in any way. The romance isn't overdone at all and it was done extremely well. (This is coming from someone who usually isn't a huge fan of romance in YA novels.) I just hope that in the sequel, the romance doesn't become too overwhelming. Don't make me choose between Ro and Lucas, seriously I like them both in different ways. Also I don't pick teams in YA books because I just hate all the "Team Edward" or "Team Gale" nonsense.

I really love all of the characters Stohl created, even the evil ones. I have such a strong connection to all the characters and I have such strong feelings for them. Al of the characters are so wonderfully developed that I felt like they are real people. Stohl brought her characters to life so beautifully that they are real and they live on in my mind.

I've said it then and I'll keep on saying it. Stohl is an extremely talented writer and her writing style is absolutely fantastic. I was so engaged by Stohl's beautiful writing and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It The pages flew by while reading Icons and by the end I desperately needed the sequel.

I can't recommend Icons enough! I am seriously in love with the world and characters that Stohl created. It's no surprise to me that Alcon swiftly optioned Icons to become a movie. I think Icons would make a terrific movie and I hope it becomes a movie soon! I am so excited for book #2 of Icons, I am legitimately desperate to find out what happens in book #2. Thank god, this didn't end on a cliffhanger otherwise I probably would have had a heartattack. (I know I'm dramatic but you get my point!). Icons is Margaret Stohl's brilliant solo debut and I look forward to reading more of her upcoming books. Now I have to cross my fingers that I get an ARC of Unbreakable by Kami Garcia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Icons.

May 27, 2012 – Shelved
October 29, 2012 – Shelved as: dystopia-post-apocalyptic
January 5, 2013 – Shelved as: aliens
April 6, 2013 – Started Reading
April 6, 2013 –
14.0% "I'm enjoying this book so far. Although the characters do have extremely strange names like Dol, Ro, Bigger, and Biggest."
April 7, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
April 7, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jon (last edited Apr 24, 2013 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I really hate how almost every YA author feels the need to include a love triangle. Also why do people feel the need to choose teams? I love The Hunger Games but the whole "Team Peeta", "Team Gale" is so irritating.

message 2: by Jon (last edited Apr 24, 2013 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon It definitely started with Twilight. I hope these teams get old soon because they are pretty irritating.

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I heard lots of mixed reviews regarding the Trylle trilogy. You definitely have perked my interest about that series!

message 4: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Usually I can spot the guy the girl chooses early on. Love triangles are extremely predictable.

message 5: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon She always chooses the bad boy. Why do the nice guys always lose? The guy who is her best friend for her whole life is always rejected.

message 6: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Yeah. I get that but it's not always like that. There are people who fall in love during their childhood and remain together for the rest of their lives. I feel like the good guy is always undervalued in literature.

message 7: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I love, love the Mortal Instruments! I love Simon so much (and Jace!). When I mean the good guy, I mean the guy who is kind, sweet. Usually the chica chooses the guy who acts like a total jerk.

message 8: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon It depends. I'm sarcastic but I'm a really nice guy. Sarcasm is only bad if the guy is being rudely sarcastic and obnoxious (Jace is the only one who can be sarcastic!)