Stephanie's Reviews > Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy: A Modern Graphic Retelling of Little Women

Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy by Rey Terciero

bookshelves: 2019, graphic-novel, lgbtqia, middle-grade, diverse, young-adult, retellings, black

The classic novel has been retold into a modern tale of sisters in a biracial, blended family and to those who might wonder, the heart of the classic is still in full force in this beautiful graphic novel adaptation.

The personalities of all four girls are pulled throughout the novel both in the dialogue and the drawings. Illustrator Bre Indigo has infused the warmth that Little Women is known for right into the illustrations full of beautiful women of all shapes and sizes. Those who are familiar with the classic story will appreciate the way that author Rey Terciero has updated the story bringing a classic to reflect a contemporary family. I loved that the sisters still squabbled with each other because honestly, which siblings do not squabbled and the parents with their mother working long hours to support their daughter as their father serves in the military, are the role models I would wish all children could have in their lives.

The hallmarks of the classic novel are still here: the warmth, the tight family dynamics, and strong family presence. What has been added is the diversity that is much needed with a Black father, Caucasian mother, and daughters: Caucasian, Black, and Biracial. I would not hesitate to recommend this to my students: both middle and high school as I think it is the story that all need to be open to reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy.

June 6, 2020 – Shelved