Rowena's Reviews > Pym

May 27, 2012

bookshelves: american-lit, african-american
Recommended to Rowena by: Zada
Read from May 30 to June 06, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pym.

Quotes Rowena Liked

Mat Johnson
“In my head, I was getting 'gangsta,' which I've always felt showed greater intent than getting 'gangster' in that it expresses a willful unlawfulness even upon its own linguistic representation.”
Mat Johnson, Pym

05/30/2012 page 25
06/02/2012 page 153
48.0% "Funny! Thought-provoking too."
06/02/2012 page 188
58.0% "Wow!"
06/06/2012 page 275
85.0% "Almost done!"
04/21/2017 marked as: read
show 4 hidden updates…

Rowena You're welcome, Jane! Isn't he? ;)

R.S. Carter I'm about 100 pages in right now. Loving it so far - loving the perspective, the humor, and the education (as well as the adventure).

Rowena R.S. wrote: "I'm about 100 pages in right now. Loving it so far - loving the perspective, the humor, and the education (as well as the adventure)."

I'm glad you're enjoying it! I remember laughing so hard at times. Will you be writing a review?

R.S. Carter It is hilarious. I will be leaving an informal review on GR, and also doing a review for my paper under my real name. I remember hearing about it on NPR last year and I've only finally been able to get to this one. I'm so glad I kept it on this list, it's fantastic.

Rowena R.S. wrote: "It is hilarious. I will be leaving an informal review on GR, and also doing a review for my paper under my real name. I remember hearing about it on NPR last year and I've only finally been able ..."

Great! I look forward to reading your review. I wish I'd written a review when I first read it, it's one I'd definitely like to re-read:)

R.S. Carter Loved it. I'll be writing my formal review for the papers this evening. That was too much fun. I didn't expect it to be a retelling.

message 7: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Hi Rowena,
You didn't write a review for this one. I've just run across it. I wonder do you remember reading it? What was it like? It sounds kind of .. weird.

Rowena Hi Debbie,

I wish I had written a review when I'd first read it. It was really good, weird but good. Definitely a satire. I read it pretty quickly:)