Kathleen's Reviews > How Girls Can Help Their Country

How Girls Can Help Their Country by Juliette Gordon Low

May 27, 2012

bookshelves: five-star-books

As I recall, I'd been reading other material about Juliette Low, founder of the Girl Scouts, plus I'd been complaining about issues with the current program materials, and Wendy said something about wanting to "go rogue with a handbook from the 1920s." So I pulled up this original handbook on Google Books (it's in the public domain) and read it over. It's DELIGHTFUL, especially because there is much in there that is still in use NOW, and because it really does focus on helping girls to become strong women, in spite of the fact that women didn't even have the vote yet!

You'll also find the requirements for becoming a Tenderfoot, Second-Class, and First-Class scout, all of which I am tempted to have my girls complete at some point. And badges! Did you know that in 1916, girls could earn badges for both Automobiling and Aviation?

This book gets five stars for being innovative, informative, and HIGHLY influential.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Girls Can Help Their Country.

May 27, 2012 – Started Reading