Kara's Reviews > War

War by Sebastian Junger

F 50x66
May 27, 2012

Read in May, 2012

Sebastian Junger's book War reads like a fiction story that was difficult to put down. It made me laugh out loud, cry, shake my head and took me through various other emotions that I would not have expected from this book. Junger explain his themes (e.g., fear, camaraderie, group cohesion, love) both through his experiences with the soldiers and then through insightful and relevant research studies. This book was very well written as far as staying as objective as possible without overt bias or agenda. If the book was any longer I fear this would have been an issue (e.g., extrapolating the results from the research studies). With that said, I do wish Junger would have taken the information from the research sections a bit further than simply reiterating the abstract of each study. While I gauge the purpose of this book by its length (fairly short) and depth of content (e.g., development of characters, amount of specific events revealed) to be more of a starting point to explain Junger's themes, I do wish that they were delved into a bit further.

Ultimately this is a wonderful book and I believe Junger truly captured a side of combat that I know I was certainly unfamiliar with. I would love to see this book being read by multiple groups of peoples - families, psychologists, combat researchers, politicians, etc. I believe this book's main points can be used in various different ways among various different disciplines and I hope its not overlooked for being a tactile, or political account of the war, which it truly is not. Instead it has the power to open the minds and bridge the gap of understanding of what these men and women who engage in combat truly experience on an emotional level.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War.