Betsy Robinson's Reviews > Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You

Stamped by Jason  Reynolds

This is a YA edition of a much longer book that I meant to buy, but I made a mistake. I'm glad I did because this is extraordinary. I'm 69 years old and I can only imagine how the world might be different if this had been in the school curriculum when I was in junior high.

At only one-quarter of the way through, I'm going to review this now in order to say to all my friends with teenage kids, buy this book! And read it yourselves. Or read it with your teenagers.

I'm having many reactions to what I'm reading, but I don't want to tempt myself to express. Now is a time to be silent, read, and learn. So now I'll shut up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stamped.

June 5, 2020 – Started Reading
June 5, 2020 – Shelved
June 5, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Well said, Betsy. And I was nodding my head at the salience of your closing lines.

Betsy Robinson Kevin wrote: "Well said, Betsy. And I was nodding my head at the salience of your closing lines."

Thanks, Kevin.

Cheri I appreciate your sharing this while in the midst of reading it yourself, Betsy. I need to pick up a copy for the teens in my family.

Betsy Robinson Cheri wrote: "I appreciate your sharing this while in the midst of reading it yourself, Betsy. I need to pick up a copy for the teens in my family."

I actually finished it yesterday, Cheri. I'll copy my Facebook post here:

I just finished "Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You," a YA edition of a much longer work by Ibram X. Kendi, adapted by Jason Reynolds. The linked PW review is better than the brief I wrote. This book is recommended for readers age 12 and up, but at 69, I'm grateful to have read it. I learned the real meaning of Prison Industrial Complex and plenty of other phrases. I got the education I've been needing and in the privacy of my couch, got to feel mortified by past gaffs. That mortification, I believe, is necessary for transformation. I've never made a huge emotional transformation without feeling some level of it, whether it's humiliation, remorse, or regret. Let the mortification continue. I want to be a true antiracist in every cell of my being. https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-...

message 5: by Ken (new)

Ken I'm more inclined to buy the YA version myself. I ask myself why but am still awaiting a reply. Excellent review, Betsy!

Betsy Robinson Ken wrote: "I'm more inclined to buy the YA version myself. I ask myself why but am still awaiting a reply. Excellent review, Betsy!"

I'm replying: Yes, Ken. Do it! Buy it. I have not read the 600-page National Book Award-winning original edition, but my mistake of reading this YA version was a really good mistake. It's written with humor (if you can believe such a thing is possible about this topic) and a certain gentleness because it is aimed at kids 12 and older. But no punches are pulled at all. It is hard-hitting despite the tone, and boy, will you learn. I find myself enraged at the deficiencies of my education. This book could not have been published when I was 12, 57 years ago. My fury is ridiculous, but I still feel it.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken Thanks for the pep talk, Betsy. Added to my order list!

Betsy Robinson Ken wrote: "Thanks for the pep talk, Betsy. Added to my order list!"

I'm thrilled to hear it, Ken.

Georgie Hi Betsy. I'm currently reading this book and I like it a lot. I read Dr Kendi's Stamped a year or two ago, and it remains one of my favorite books ever...and I am not a nonfiction reader. I couldn't put it down. It is well written and reads like a novel, which is a plus for me. Please do not rob yourself of the opportunity to read the original Stamped.

I also highly recommend The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander's, The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson, Waking up White and Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving, The Firebrand and the First
Lady by Patricia Bell-Scott and America's Original Sin by Jim Wallis

Georgie Betsy we need to be enraged.

Betsy Robinson Georgie wrote: "Betsy we need to be enraged."

Thanks for the comment and list, Georgie! If you don't know about her already, check out Bertice Berry's videos on Facebook. I mention her in my review of her book Redemption Song

Georgie Thanks for the recommendation Betsy. I'll take a look