Kristina's Reviews > The Winds of Winter

The Winds of Winter by George R.R. Martin

May 27, 2012

bookshelves: to-read

EDIT: Mar 17, 2014
(previously posted in the comments)

I would like to interject on all the people complaining about George R.R. Martin's writing process on this "review" of mine...

I would like to clarify that my "review" was not made in the spirit of complaining about Mr. Martin, but rather just a comment that I am not going to sit around and stress (and/or complain) about when it is going to come out. I have enjoyed what he has written thus far. I will be excited to read this book when it comes out. Do I wish he'd write faster? Yeah, sure, but I won't complain if the result is up to par with what we've seen from him so far. If you don't like him there is a simple solution: Don't read him.

Calm down folks.

Sept 7, 2012

2 Years between books 1 and 2
2 Years between books 2 and 3
5 Years between books 3 and 4
6 Years between books 4 and 5

What makes anyone think book 6 will be out anytime soon?
I want to read it, but I am not even going to pretend to anticipate until at least late 2013.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winds of Winter.

May 27, 2012 – Shelved
February 9, 2016 – Shelved as: waiting-for
April 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read

message 1: by Norm (new)

Norm Davis Today I ran across a book of his short stories, one of which is "The Hedge Knight" a precursor short story to the Thrones series. Don't recall where I heard it in the last couple days but I learned book 4 and 5 are essentially covering the same time period but in different areas and from 80% of reading the 4th novel I can assure you he has totally ignored several story lines that he had been keeping together pretty well. From what I've seen of the HBO series a great part of books 2 and 3 are in season 2. I can't see the HBO thing going beyond a season 3 unless they uncut a ton of plot lines they've already cut out and made impossible.

message 2: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina I heard season 3 and 4 are going to be book 3, but I've also heard you say most of book 3 is in season 2, so it will be interesting to catch my reading up to the show. I also understand there are three short stories that take place before the series (Hedge Knight, Sworn Sword, and Mystery Knight), and that they are graphic novels, but I've not read any of them.

message 3: by Abhisek (new) - added it

Abhisek Dash Please hurry up, GRRM, so that my grandchildren may read the finale of this series (Btw, I'm 16).

message 4: by Incitanemxx (new) - added it

Incitanemxx i know it sounds harsh but i just hope that he can finish the series before he... u know... gets eaten by crows, or burned by wildlings, or beheaded by a king. write george, write like the wind :D

message 5: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Incitanemxx wrote: "i know it sounds harsh but i just hope that he can finish the series before he... u know... gets eaten by crows, or burned by wildlings, or beheaded by a king. write george, write like the wind :D"

Hahaha, so true!

drowningmermaid Poor George. With all the attention the HBO series is getting, he's bound to get crazy fans...

And I don't mean crazy like name-your-kids-after-his-characters crazy. I really think its just a matter of time before someone pulls a Stephen King's Misery on his fat, slow writer butt.

And this time, his fanbase will shrug and say... 'Can't say we didn't warn ya.'

BookWrm88 He says he is trying to finish the series before HBO catches up with the show

drowningmermaid @BookWrm88
Words are wind.

message 9: by Gabriel (new) - added it

Gabriel He also said that it won't come out before 2014.

message 10: by Brandon (new)

Brandon Marcus Expected publication: 2015 by Harper Voyager

message 11: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Brandon wrote: "Expected publication: 2015 by Harper Voyager"

Thank you Brandon. I revise my previous statement...
"I want to read it, but I am not even going to pretend to anticipate until at least holiday of 2014" (I do, after all, have to eagerly anticipate it for at least a few months. ;-)

message 12: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie O'fallon il he has a contract to keep with HBO

message 13: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel It would behoove him to finish the books before the HBO show catches up!

message 14: by Zoran (new) - added it

Zoran Krušvar So, why don't you take 6 years of your time and try to write a book as good as one of his?
I'd love to read his new book today, but I'd rather wait for 20 years and read a decent novel, than force him to write some crap just to get over with.

message 15: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Zoran wrote: "So, why don't you take 6 years of your time and try to write a book as good as one of his?

Well, GRRM himself said he wants to finish the books before HBO catches up with him. I don't know where your hostility is coming from.

Chillax.

message 16: by Zoran (new) - added it

Zoran Krušvar I haven't taken my meds.

message 17: by Keltie (new) - added it

Keltie Great spoiler Margaret... Thanks. : X

message 18: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina I deleted the spoiler comment that someone posted.
Sorry folks.

message 19: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman Goerge rr martin said the earliest the winds of winter will come out is in 2014!

message 20: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Shaad wrote: "Goerge rr martin said the earliest the winds of winter will come out is in 2014!"

I suppose that at least gives me time to catch up. =)
They are all so long I keep side-tracking with other books. >_<

message 21: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman Its true there huge! Bt i love it because its worth it! So much amazing and nexpected things happen in it! How are you likeing clash of kings so far?

message 22: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Shaad wrote: "Its true there huge! Bt i love it because its worth it! So much amazing and nexpected things happen in it! How are you likeing clash of kings so far?"

I love it. I am hoping to get through A Storm of Swords before season three starts. =)

message 23: by Gabriel (new) - added it

Gabriel Kristina wrote: "Shaad wrote: "Its true there huge! Bt i love it because its worth it! So much amazing and nexpected things happen in it! How are you likeing clash of kings so far?"

I love it. I am hoping to get t..."

You have two months, I think you're gonna make it! =)

message 24: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Gabriel wrote: "You have two months, I think you're gonna make it! =) "

THANKS Gabriel!!!
I love a vote of confidence!

message 25: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman I'm actually hoping to reread them too!!!

message 26: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Shaad wrote: "I'm actually hoping to reread them too!!!"

Go for it!!! =D

drowningmermaid If you run low on time, Roy Dotrice does a GREAT reading of the books for the audiobooks. (He knows Martin, and shows up in a bit part in the show.) He does most of the readings... just not book 4, I think.

Good luck! Storm of Swords was hard to put down... my fav of the series.

message 28: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina drowningmermaid wrote: "If you run low on time, Roy Dotrice does a GREAT reading of the books for the audiobooks. (He knows Martin, and shows up in a bit part in the show.) He does most of the readings... just not book ..."

Good to know! Thanks DrowningMermaid! I love audio books, and always have one in the car.

message 29: by Norm (new)

Norm Davis I have an aversion to authors who achieve a level of success in their first novel, or first couple novels then is only capable of writing crap. I've consumed all that is available from GRRM and while his early novels were terrific... stretching it as he has is simply rude to his customers. For doubters, pick any author you like and see if they are as lazy as GRRM. Koontz is my favorite and he needs a leash to publish less than three books a year.

message 30: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman Lol I don't think it's rude! I'm disappointed he writes slow but that his choice! There his books so he can take as long as he wants because I doubt fans are going anywhere! His fan base is probably growing each day because of the exposure of the tv series! ( note maybe 6 years between books is not reasonable)! I don't think the fourth and fifth nook are terrible taken as a 1 entity there still great just not as great as the first 3 books!

message 31: by Elli (new) - added it

Elli I have been told that even if he doesn't finish the books before HBO catches up he already has an idea for how the TV series will continue

drowningmermaid Elli wrote: "I have been told that even if he doesn't finish the books before HBO catches up he already has an idea for how the TV series will continue"

And there have already been multiple "reveals" in the show-- that still haven't showed up in the books. It's going to be a little anti-climactic when he finally gets around to writing these.

message 33: by Duks (new)

Duks I think he might finish the series before HBO catches up. If they stick to what they're going to do w/ season 3 and make one book 2 seasons, then he might finish in 7 years...

message 34: by Louie (new) - added it

Louie ive heard from a good source that it will be realease oct 29 2013

message 35: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman What source?

message 36: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Expected publication 2015? Really??? I swear if I didn't love this series I would just throw in the towel. I read the first book in 1996 and here we are ... 17 years later and it's not done yet. He's a genius but it's crazy that we have to wait so longggggggggggggggg between books! I'm not sure If I'm going to continue to watch the HBO series since I don't want to be spoiled before I read the books. I may just buy the boxed set when it's released and watch it after the book series is done. Decisions, decisions, decisions. SIGH ...

message 37: by Kristina (new) - added it

Kristina Donna wrote: "Expected publication 2015? Really??? I swear if I didn't love this series I would just throw in the towel. I'm not sure If I'm going to continue to watch the HBO series since I don't want to be spoiled before I read the books."

I don't know if I will keep watching the show if/when it gets ahead of the books, but as long as it is still behind, I think I'll continue to watch. =)

message 38: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman i dont think they will get ahead of the books! Because the fact there splitting book 3 into 2 seasons and they could also do that for book 4 and 5 and they could do a prequel too! But I hate waiting know that I have read the 5 books!!

drowningmermaid Too late, yo.

Didn't you notice how part of book 4 already made it into season 2?

Also, there ARE 'reveals' in the show. Martin writes at least one episode per season, and it seems like he's showing more of his hand in the show than in the 5th book.

message 40: by Judisalimbene (new)

Judisalimbene George R R Maritin, you and I are close in age, what assurance do you have you will be alive in 2020? Please finish the series before I die!!!!!!

message 41: by Joy (new)

Joy Yih This is abusive. I want my ASOIAF crack!

message 42: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Hope he never finishes this series and keeps adding books to it

drowningmermaid Well... it'd be nice to see who winds up with the Iron Throne.

message 44: by Kristina (last edited Apr 08, 2013 04:14AM) (new) - added it

Kristina Joy wrote: "This is abusive. I want my ASOIAF crack!"

Haha! It is abusive!

drowningmermaid wrote: "Well... it'd be nice to see who winds up with the Iron Throne."

Yes, yest it would!

message 45: by M (new) - rated it 1 star

M We know nothing, GRRM.

message 46: by ♥Nica♥ (new) - added it

♥Nica♥ I hate to break it to you, George, but you're not getting any younger. Just finish the book already!

message 47: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason "i dont think they will get ahead of the books! Because the fact there splitting book 3 into 2 seasons and they could also do that for book 4 and 5." In an interview they indicate they want to do the opposite for books 4 & 5 given how sparsely plotted they are - combine them into one season, more or less. They want to make the show 7 seasons, which does seem a bit low given that Books 6 & 7 ought to have at least as much plot as Book 3, but we'll see. If their plan goes as, um, planned then the show would end in 2018, and I highly doubt Martin would publish the final novel before that final season starts.

message 48: by Virginia (last edited Aug 24, 2013 06:57AM) (new) - added it

Virginia Lane I waited to buy the books they had released the title and gave a release date for winds of winter before I purchased the first, read it before moving on to others. On the release date he had only three chapters. On next release date , a year later he had 100 pages. Now another year has past and we have another release date. 2015 no month ,That he will miss yet again. He claimed to have finished the book, before he even started it. As much as I like what he has written in the first book , the story is not finished. I am pissed off and I for one want my money back. 5 books that adds up. Any one else feel they have been cheated? And has been pointed out his writing has worsened with each book. Filled with useless fillers that run on and on.

message 49: by Shaad (new) - added it

Shaad Zaman Virginia wrote: "I waited to buy the books they had released the title and gave a release date for winds of winter before I purchased the first read it before moving on to others on the release date he had only thr..."

Cheated from what hes still writing it! If he doesnt finish it thats when I will feel cheated. I am disappointed that he is taking so long!

drowningmermaid Virginia wrote: "I waited to buy the books they had released the title and gave a release date for winds of winter before I purchased the first read it before moving on to others on the release date he had only thr..."

I don't know if I feel cheated, but I definitely feel like he's bitten off more than he can chew. I think it was a good idea to expand the series out from a trilogy to, say, a five book series. But seven books is beyond his capacity as a writer.

I mean, he just plain doesn't write enough to warrant trying to blow up a trilogy like this. And, frankly, books four and five were STUFFED with useless filler. And his writing quality has depreciated notably. And-- really-- I don't know who told him it was a good idea to allow ENTIRE BOOKS that his audience has waited for for half a decade, to go by with scant (if any) appearances from the characters who people are tuning in for. No Tyrion? No Dany? No Arya?

It just really seems like he's in over his head and he should just find a write-alike ghostwriter whose work he can edit. After all, *ehem*, most of the books he's come out with in the interim have all be edited anthologies.

« previous 1 3