Don Putnam's Reviews > Taboo: 10 Facts You Can't Talk About

Taboo by Wilfred Reilly

bookshelves: 2020-books-to-read

A great book with a lot to think about. Over the past two months, since George Floyd's murder and BLM protests have been sweeping across the US of A, I have been given a list of podcasts, books, articles, movies and blog posts to consume - almost as required reading. As I've delved into these lists, I've encountered emotional appeals and stories. Empirical data was light and ambiguous. Reading Taboo, on the other hand, gave a lot of hard data, and conclusions to think about.

Reilly cuts right down the middle. He follows the data and is highly critical of both the hard-left and alt-right.

If you are needing facts and data on IQ scores, crime, college demographics - all based on race - this is the book for you.

Reilly paints of spectrum of issues and variables for people to consider - a breath of fresh air when compared to the binary view on skin color many people would want us baited into these days. There are literally hundreds of other variables to consider when it comes to successful living, crime, IQ scores, college admissions and career data. While race is a factor, it is not the prime one. In fact, race(ism) only accounts for maybe 1 or 2 percent in many of these issues. Time and time again, Reilly rips apart alt-right and hard-left narratives about race.

In sum - a great, informative book; one I'll be referencing for quite some time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taboo.

June 4, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020-books-to-read