Farhana's Reviews > Black Dawn

Black Dawn by Rachel Caine

May 27, 2012

*Spoiler Free*

Last Breath, the previous book in the Morganville Vampire series was absolutely thrilling so I was dying to get my hands on Black Dawn. As ever, this latest instalment was just as brilliant and crazy as I could have hoped for.

The major plotline was of course the draug and overcoming the huge threat they posed to Morganville and its beloved inhabitants. I thought that the draug were a refreshing change to the usual vampire-dominated story lines. It was nice to finally see the vampires lower on the food chain, as well as humans and vampires alike uniting against a common enemy.

The characters of course were fantastic and they are arguably the BEST aspect of this series. What I really enjoyed was the switching points of view between a variety of different characters other than just Claire, the different POVs included Shane, Michael, Eve and even Oliver. I would have loved to get inside Myrnin's head too though!

I loved the relationships between Michael and Eve and of course Shane and Claire. They are just so adorable together and there aren't any stupid love triangles. Although Myrnin CLEARLY has something for Claire, I do wish this was explored a bit more actually. Myrnin is such a complicated character so it'd be good to learn more about him! You gotta love crazy! :P

The story progressed nicely and was action-packed and fast-paced as you can come to expect with this series. The ending tied up all loose ends with a new era beginning in Morganville. All I can say is: bring on book number THIRTEEN. Yes thirteen, you heard right and I still adore this series.

THE VERDICT
4 stars - Another fantastic addition to one of my favourite series. Go read this now please. GO!

Source: received from publisher. Thank you!

For more of my reviews and other bookish goodness go to: http://bookchowdown.blogspot.com/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Dawn.