H.A. Byrd's Reviews > The Color of Magic

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

2004960

bookshelves: favorites

I fell in love with this author by the second paragraph. Here is a delightful satirical writing style, full of humour and eloquent in its execution. It’s clear right away if you are going to connect with the dry wit and the prose so beautifully crowded with lighthearted potshots at humanity.

The first of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, this novel plays with conventional ideas about the world, especially mythological archetypes and their use in the sword and sorcery fantasy genre. His tongue-in-cheek physics adds a pinch of Sci-Fi to the mix. The Color of Magic is often compared to Douglas Adams’s The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for its humour but is written with more finesse.

It lightened my heart to read this book. Surges of delight from the clever turns of phrase alternated with laughter as I read along. I particularly enjoyed this satire of fantasy because I am fascinated with the concept of reality and all its interpretations.

Here is a snippet of Pratchett's description of a wizard appearing out of thin air, an effect you might experience in a movie:
“Now the turning wizard was half man-size. At that point the growth was faster, there was a sudden crowded moment, a rush of air, and an explosion of sound. Rincewind tumbled out of the air, screaming. He hit the floor hard, choked, then rolled over with his head cradled in his arms and his body curled up tightly."

Birds are shown to carry messages, and a few pages later a man about to dispatch a message approaches a cage of white doves. But there are other cages there, and, “From one cage he removed a glossy coated rat, rolled the parchment into the phial attached to a hind leg, and let the animal go. It sniffed around the floor for a moment, then disappeared down a hole in the far wall.” The image of rats scurrying through underground tunnels with notes tied to their rear legs fits well into this city in a world of scoundrels.

Terry Pratchett obviously had a great time writing these books. He was a masterful writer and it's easy to see why so many have had fun reading the Discworld series. I thoroughly enjoyed The Color Of Magic and am on to read The Light Fantastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Magic.

Finished Reading
June 3, 2020 – Shelved
June 16, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

PattyMacDotComma Good review - wasn't this a treat?! That reminds me, I must read some more Pratchett sooner rather than later. :)

H.A. Byrd PattyMacDotComma wrote: "Good review - wasn't this a treat?! That reminds me, I must read some more Pratchett sooner rather than later. :)"

Thank you, Patty! Yes, I imagine I'll be spending some time on this author too. Enjoy!

message 3: by Phrynne (last edited Jun 19, 2020 02:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne I was like you when I read this book and I went on to read the entire series and many of the rest of the books he wrote as well! He never failed to keep me interested and amused. Rincewind and the Luggage are very memorable!!!

H.A. Byrd Phrynne wrote: "I was like you when I read this book and I went on to read the entire series and many of the rest of the books he wrote as well! He never failed to keep me interested and amused. Rincewind and the ..."

I'm so thrilled to discover this author that I can relate to so well. He writes somewhat like I do, except he is a master! AND he was prolific. I have so much to look forward to! I'm glad you like his work--as I've seen your reviews this is encouraging to me.