Josiah's Reviews > Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

bookshelves: biography-memoir, best-of-2020

This is a must-read. It's a hard book to read because of how clearly it shows the horrific racist attitudes that exist in this country and the effects they have on our justice system. But there are also several rays of hope within this book, and I'm very thankful for the work that Stevenson has been doing on this front.

This book finished persuading me that we need to stop incarcerating drug users and look for better ways to offer therapy instead. It also showed me that pursuing justice devoid of any sense of mercy is wrong and doesn't truly create a just society. I'm not sure what to think about the death penalty after reading this book since in theory, I think it has a place for certain horrific crimes. But this book also persuaded me that in practice, it's been regularly abused within the U.S. to execute the innocent and play favorites with the rich and the powerful. So I'll be continuing to think about that since the book has challenged many things I originally believed about the death penalty and how it's actually been used within our country.

Overall, it's a great book that tells a compelling true story which I certainly needed to hear, making a number of great points about the true nature of justice and mercy in the process. Recommended.

Rating: 4.5 Stars (Excellent).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Mercy.

June 2, 2020 – Shelved