Thomas's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

2018505
May 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own-electronic, read-on-kindle, young-adult, fantasy, romance

Super fun adolescent vampire drama. Not a profound book, but a great one to indulge in, filled with danger and back-stabbing and sex. In Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy, guardian-in-training Rose Hawthorne must protect her best friend and vampire, Lissa Dragomir, a princess who lost all of her family in a bloody tragedy. The two reside in St. Vladimir's Academy, a designated safe space and school for vampires and their future guardians. But Rose and Lissa both learn that secret threats lurk within the gates of St. Vladimir's, and they must stop them before they take Lissa away forever.

Some highlights of Vampire Academy include: an addictive plot with multiple sources of conflict, a focus on the friendship between Rose and Lissa, and a solid writing style that does not distract from the story. I loved a certain aspect of Lissa's character, which I do not want to spoil, so (view spoiler). Rose's character struck a great balance of assertive, stubborn, and loyal to her values and close friends.

Vampire Academy has its issues though: Read does a fair share of telling instead of showing with her dialogue, and the romance - aside from Lissa's - felt clunky and based on physical attractiveness. Again, not every character has to look hot or obey society's conventions of attractiveness. While the last 30% of the book hooked me, the story overall did not blow me away in its complexity or emotional depth. Still, Read paces her plot well, and I perceive a ton of openings for this series to take innovative, exciting turns.

Overall, recommended to fans of young-adult books about vampires with a side of enticing teen drama. Because so many people have read this: would you recommend reading the next installment?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

Drew Salas Yes!

Alvaro Landin I recommend reading the whole series lol

Summer The next books actually get better, Thomas! I highly recommend continuing. ^.^

message 4: by Councillor (new) - added it

Councillor I have been afraid to read this book for quite a while, since it seems so Twilight-ish to me. Your review was able to reduce my fear of it a little bit, Thomas. Thank you :D

message 5: by Ksenia (new) - added it

Ksenia I've read this series ages ago. I agree with your assessment of this book as an addictive and entertaining, though not groundbreaking. I'm a little confused by your remark that this story filled with sex, I don't recollect it. I'm not sure I would recommend you to continue with this series, the romance gets more pages, and you don't sound like a big fan of it. Unfortunately next installments were less enjoyable for me.

Thomas Ksenia wrote: "I've read this series ages ago. I agree with your assessment of this book as an addictive and entertaining, though not groundbreaking. I'm a little confused by your remark that this story filled wi..."

Thank you for your thoughtful response, Ksenia! I will keep your remarks in mind when I decide what to read next. There's a decent amount of sex, some of which occurs "on-screen" and some that is mentioned in the background. I always appreciate your opinions. :)

Councillor wrote: "I have been afraid to read this book for quite a while, since it seems so Twilight-ish to me. Your review was able to reduce my fear of it a little bit, Thomas. Thank you :D"

In my opinion this first book is more appealing than Twilight - the female characters have more agency and there is more layered intrigue. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to check it out.

Summer wrote: "The next books actually get better, Thomas! I highly recommend continuing. ^.^"

Thank you for your recommendation, Summer! Considering you gave this one two stars and still went onto enjoy the future books gives me hope.

Alvaro wrote: "I recommend reading the whole series lol"

I will take this into consideration, thank you.

Drew wrote: "Yes!"

Love the concision and enthusiasm!