Anne's Reviews > Bury Your Dead

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

May 26, 2012

bookshelves: mysteries-thrillers
Read in May, 2012

What Louise Penny does is create a small, intimate world, while creating a sense of place so pervasive you feel you know it. Canada is rarely featured in best-selling books, and to have it so celebrated is wonderful. It is Quebec, to be sure, but the Quebec of Anglo-culture, and so, it is the Canadian Quebec.

Most powerful, for me, is the way she builds quiet characters of amazing strength and depth. These are not cartoon-brilliant people. They are, for the most part, fully-fleshed out, but rather ordinary people, for and around whom extraordinary events take place. I cared about them.

And I love how she handles food. She herself talks about how the murder is really a conceit for the characters to reveal themselves - and their relationships. I think she has achieved this, and taken the mystery well beyond the procedural or the two-dimensional world of so many modern mysteries.

She also has a reporter's eye for the compelling detail, and this effort, the research that has gone into the books, keep them from being too precious. There is a dense strong realism undergirding the story line. And she knows how to dose out the story, to keep you engaged.

I also love the poet, the Ruth character, and her arc, through all the books, is amazing. As a reader, I at first disliked her, but she grew on me. I am not an expert, but Ruth's poetry resonates for me, I found it compelling, really powerful. I wish Penny would publish a book of poems by Ruth.

I am looking forward to A Beautiful Mystery. Really.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bury Your Dead.

03/07/2016 marked as: read

Joan You say it best of everyone I've seen as to how I feel about Louise Penny's books, and I've read them all.

Joan May I quote your review?

Anne Joan, YES! And thank you for your generous comment about my review!

Anne Joan, YES! And thank you for your generous comment about my review!

Joan Thanks, Anne, and I am more than happy to accept the friend request. I went through this series like an addict. Louise Penny writes stories as a musician writes music. I keep going back to read some of them because I keep picking subtle cues up. I got my 79-year-old mother started on these, also, and she also loved them.