Kira's Reviews > Inkdeath

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

May 26, 2012

I have SO MANY FEELINGS upon completion of this book!

First, I should probably address why it took me four years to open the front cover and close the back cover. Several reasons come into play:

1.) I always feel pressure to read library books before books I own.

2.) This book seemed slow to start. The pace and excitement didn't pick up until about halfway through. The story followed one or two too many characters, and this slowed it down a lot.

3.) Once things picked up a little and I got back into the story, my love for the Inkheart series and for the Inkworld resurfaced, and I didn't want it to end. Funke's writing is so comforting, so incredibly good, it just feels like a warm comforter you want to stay under forever on a cold winter morning.

The book lost a star on the rating for me simply because of it's length. It was way too long. 664 pages... so much. A very heavy hardcover book.

The ending was what it should be. The characters grew and changed perfectly. The main storyline is satisfyingly ended, but so many subplots were left to continue. I set down this book knowing that the Inkworld would live on, with all of it's danger, magic, and excitement. And love.

I've bought this series on audible so I can listen to it again. I think this may be one of those series that is more enjoyable to listen to than read, simply because of their lengths and because of the beautiful, hypnotic words contained therein.

I recommend this book to ultimate bookworms, because you will relate to the main characters' love of books and reading, and you will enjoy the elegant prose. I also recommend this book to lovers of action and fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkdeath.

May 26, 2012 – Shelved
July 30, 2012 – Started Reading
July 30, 2012 –
page 22
August 17, 2012 –
page 47
7.09% "I'm having a hard time getting back into this story, which is crazy since I loved the first two so much. Here's to hoping it picks up soon. Maybe I just need to get my head out of Fairyland :)"
August 19, 2012 –
page 127
August 20, 2012 –
page 155
23.38% ""After all, that was what you wanted from books: great emotions you'd never felt yourself, pain you could leave behind by closing the book if it got too bad. Death and destruction felt deliciously real conjured up with the right words, and you could leave them behind between the pages as you pleased, at no cost or risk to yourself.""
March 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 15, 2016 –
page 304
May 18, 2016 –
page 387
May 26, 2016 –
page 564
85.07% ""Dustfinger looked at him, looked into his heart, saw everything in it.""
May 27, 2016 – Finished Reading