Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Fragile Scars

Fragile Scars by Lilian Harris

Four "really liked it" stars!

Color me impressed! This book took an incredibly sensitive topic, and showed it from multiple angles (insider, outsider, adult, child). And she showed it respect while doing it. She described the fear of being in a relationship with someone unpredictable and explosive, even had the heroine being more bold with Ash (the abuser) when she was interacting with him from a distance (phone/text). In my limited experience, that's how it was. It was easier to be brave when they weren't there in person. I related to that.

From what I could find I think this is the author's debut novel, and I am blown away. Striking a balance between plot-driven and character-driven can be really hard, even for authors who have written a dozen novels-- too much of one or the other makes for a dud. But this book didn't suffer that. I enjoyed the different personalities of the characters and at the same time was glued to the pages by the plot.

She also did a great job weaving in little extras (like the bunny) to make it a fuller, richer story. I'll say it again-- I'm truly impressed that this was a debut novel.

I generally read darker romances with anti-heroes, but this one spoke to me. The male MC was definitely more hero than anti-hero, but I really liked him. He swooped in and saved the day, and it worked for me.

I recommend this book to fans of contemporary romance who like a hero that saves the day. Because, really... who doesn't?

Find me at:
Instagram
Facebook
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fragile Scars.

May 31, 2020 – Shelved