Heather's Reviews > Closed Hearts

Closed Hearts by Susan Kaye Quinn

Holy Cow! I just started this book today. I couldn't have put it down if I wanted to! I thought it was going to be a slow read because the first twenty pages are kind of slow, but hold onto your Kindle or your paperback because this one will blow your hair back! You might remember my review of Open Minds the first novel in the Mind Jacker Trilogy and what a unique idea I thought it was for YA. Well, the unique keeps coming. Kira, who spilled the beans about Mind Jackers last book,finds out that she isn't the only one with special abilities. In fact, there are some mindjackers with really scary abilities. And then there are some mindjackers that are really scary. Unfortunately, she gets tracked down by someone she betrayed in the last book. Now, this was not a good guy and someone who deserved to be left behind, but Kira couldn't save everyone last time, and some people died. And she's had to live with that. Unfortunately, some people can't live with that. And a man named Molloy comes to exact his revenge. He kidnaps Kira and Raf during a stolen romantic moment and serve them up to a group known as the "mages" in Jackertown, a place Kira is not welcome due to her outing jackers to the world. She's kind of stuck there.

Kestrel, the evil scientist/FBI agent/mindjacker that hates mindjackers is back and even more heinous than ever. Kira's dad gets involved with a rescue attempt and somehow Raf goes missing. Anything and everything goes wrong. The least expected betrayals happen from those who have the least to gain from their betrayals. Corrupted politicians are involved (no way!) and Kira has to decide if she is a cold blooded killer or not.

The last quarter of the book is a total sobfest. There is kind of a love triangle, but not really. Kira would never love anyone but Raf, but she does have to pretend with someone and it tickles back there in her mind. And the boy, Julian, though handsome and totally swoon worthy and heroic, does not take advantage of her in her moments of distress or despair. But God, oh God, Sue Quinn knows how to drag your heart out of your chest and squeeze every last drop of water out of your body. I didn't see it coming at all. And the slap in the face afterward. Rubbing salt in old wounds. I know you don't understand, but you've just got to read it to understand what I'm talking about. Kira's heart is literally wrung out in this one. And my eyes with it.

Book two has ratcheted everything up a notch. It feels like the author is more comfortable in her skin and she really let her characters go in this one. The adventure and tension is high and the evilness just seeps through the words like venom. If I had a gun, I'd shoot Kestrel's name off the page, or at least I'd cross it out, but I'm reading on a Kindle, so you know. He has to be the most evil man I've ever read about with his horrible experiments, injecting things into the mindjackers and withdrawing things, leaving holes in their memories. Total Evil. I can't wait to see how he dies, and he will die if this trilogy ends with justice.

But there is something else in this story besides the excitement and adventure and heartbreak. It's the reality of what's taking place. The mindjackers are different from the mindreaders and difference, even in this world of the future, this world that only until a few generations ago didn't have mindreaders, equals bad, inferior, something to fear. There's a message in this story, subtle as it is because the issue is so far out there. But you could substitute any two groups in there and it could be relevant for today. So kudos again to the author for making a lesson in such an oh so subtle way!

This is an absolutely clean read, but there is definitely romance in it, several. I had originally thought this was a MG series, but it doesn't read that way to me, though MG readers on the higher end would have no trouble with it. I recommend it for any fans of supernatural YA. There is definite violence to the point of almost torture in some cases, but it's not like SAW the movie or anything like that. It's more in the mind. Read it! I promise you won't be sorry! Just don't forget your tissues.

To Susan Quinn- This is an excellent novel that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time I was reading. It's one of those stories I couldn't put down. There was always something happening. I couldn't stand not to know what would happen next! Thank you for such a great escape! When can I have the next one?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Closed Hearts.

May 25, 2012 – Shelved