hayden's Reviews > Drain You

May 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: odd, really-weird, original-ish
Read from May 26 to 30, 2012

Advanced copy obtained via Edelweiss. Thank you, HarperCollins!

Drain You is a very interesting book. It's the first one I've read (and the first I've been accepted for) on Edelweiss.

The only word I can really come up with to describe Drain You is unique. The book is truly unlike anything else I've ever read, and I can't tell if that's for better or for worse.

First of all, the book doesn't really go anywhere. It does have a plot, but it doesn't necessarily follow the structure plots are supposed to. The book just kind of does whatever it wants to, which is refreshing, but it might throw some people off.

The writing is very conversational. When I say very conversational, I mean very conversational. The characters actually say and think "like," which is commonly done in reality, but I've never actually seen it written in a book. I can't tell whether it shoots the maturity of the book to the ground or is perfection. Probably both.

The characters aren't exactly memorable, but they're not ignorantly stupid and annoying, either. They don't make Drain You one of my favorite books, nor do they make it my least favorite. I'm curious as to whether or not the book is part of a series.

In case the cover didn't let you know or the summary didn't let you know, this book is about vampires. There, I said it. But the thing I like about Drain You, the thing that gave it four stars instead of three, is the fact that the vampires aren't the main story. The main character isn't completely preoccupied with the fact that her boyfriend is a bloodsucker to the point where she can't think or act straight and ends up just acting like an idiot. Drain You is mostly about the MC's friendships and relationships. The vampire thing is off to the side. I haven't read a vampire book in years where they're not the main focus of the book. This is the reason Drain You is so unique and different from all the other books.

M. Beth Bloom, I'll be keeping an eye on you. If you come out with anything else, I might just pick it up. You never know.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drain You.

05/26/2012 page 1
0.0% "Edelweiss actually ACCEPTED me for something!!! Wow!!!
Described in the summary as "perfect for fans of Heather Brewer and John Green." Those are two completely different authors. Is this book just going to be a giant CF of ideas and themes?"
05/26/2012 page 19
9.0% "Gosh, I'm freaking loving this book."
05/26/2012 page 55
25.0% "This book is weird."
05/28/2012 page 74
34.0% "Sometimes, this book doesn't make sense, but I like it. It's different. Very relaxed, conversational."
05/28/2012 page 93
43.0% "Oh. So the book is about vampires."
05/28/2012 page 93
43.0% "Wow. The name of the book totally makes sense now,"
05/28/2012 page 105
48.0% "Dood. This book is awesomesauce."
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

How exactly are you reading this?

hayden Whaddaya mean?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

well, it kinda says that it won't be published til July 24th 2012.. and it kinda ain't July 24th 2012 yet... :S

hayden Oh! I got an ARC copy :)

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah! Right...