Julie 's Reviews > The Lives of Edie Pritchard

The Lives of Edie Pritchard by Larry Watson

bookshelves: 2021, e-book, netgalley, fiction-literature, contemporary-fiction

The Lives of Edie Pritchard by Larry Watson is a 2020 Algonquin Books publication.

Magnificent character study- great writing!

Montana- 1967

Edie is a beautiful woman, married, but feeling unfulfilled. Her husband is bland, and jealous, but his twin brother, Ray is standing by, hoping for a chance with Edie, himself. Life takes an unusual turn, which gives Edie a nudge, and the perfect opportunity to take her leave.

From there we catch up with Edie at various turning points in her life. In each segment, Edie must make decisions to save herself from the machinations or obsessions of the men in her life- her attractiveness working against her as she struggles to be seen as a person, not an object to owned.

This is a fascinating character study. Edie is a sympathetic character, overall, although she is not perfect. One can feel her palpable feelings of suffocation, and her burning need to live life on her own terms.

She does rise to the occasion, despite the hurdles blocking her path, when necessary, although she is usually forced to unravel a bad situation before any real progress can be made.

The story covers three generations- skipping over decades of Edie’s life at a time, only checking in with her when she faces a hurdle large enough to prompt a complete do-over. In my opinion, there were people who may have been collateral damage in Edie’s pursuit of independence, tragically so, and at other times, Edie was forced to cut her losses.

What stands out, is the sparse prose and the moody atmosphere, which is quite effective. I was riveted to the pages, deeply involved in Edie’s world.

I can’t say this is the type of novel I’m normally drawn to, or that I got from it everything the author intended. The last portion of the book is slightly melancholy, and maybe a little contrived, too. Yet, it is Edie’s strength and resilience that makes the story a triumph.

Because I am still pondering Edie’s choices, and the events that spurred them, I would say the novel did what it set out to do. This is, to my knowledge, my first book by this author. I'm very keen to read more of his work.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lives of Edie Pritchard.

May 30, 2020 – Shelved
January 8, 2021 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 8, 2021 – Shelved as: fiction-literature
January 8, 2021 – Shelved as: contemporary-fiction
January 8, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Great write up Julie ....... this sounds like a really good, emotionally gripping read!

Julie Richard wrote: "Great write up Julie ....... this sounds like a really good, emotionally gripping read!"

Thank you very much, Richard!! It was a thought-provoking story! 😊

message 3: by Yun (new)

Yun Awesome review, Julie! This sounds like a fascinating read, and I'm so glad you enjoyed! :)

message 4: by Ceecee (new)

Ceecee Great review Julie - glad you enjoyed it! 💝

Julie Yun wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! This sounds like a fascinating read, and I'm so glad you enjoyed! :)"

Thank you very much, Yun!! 💖

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Great review Julie - glad you enjoyed it! 💝"

Thanks so much, Ceecee!! 💖

message 7: by Suzy (new) - added it

Suzy Great review Julie! 💗

Julie Suzy wrote: "Great review Julie! 💗"

Thanks so much, Suzy!! 💖

message 9: by Tina (new)

Tina It's always nice to read something different once in awhile and be pleasantly surprised. A wonderful review dear Julie!! 😍

message 10: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Excellent review Julie!💖

Julie Tina wrote: "It's always nice to read something different once in awhile and be pleasantly surprised. A wonderful review dear Julie!! 😍"

Thanks so much, Tina!! I agree! 💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💖"

Thank you very much, Kaceey!! 💖

message 13: by Karissa (new)

Karissa A wonderful review, Julie! The novel indeed has an interesting premise! And I am glad you had well etched characters to give you company :)

Julie Karissa wrote: "A wonderful review, Julie! The novel indeed has an interesting premise! And I am glad you had well etched characters to give you company :)"

Thank you very much, Karissa!! 💖

message 15: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Awesome review Julie!

Julie Karen wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thanks so much, Karen!! 💖

message 17: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Langford Great review Julie !!

Brandice This was my first Larry Watson book too, I enjoyed the story overall. Great review, Julie! :)

message 19: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Julie.

message 20: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa ~ Bantering Books Fantastic review, Julie! I have "Edie Pritchard" on my list -- I've read a good number of reviews that praise it, including yours. I'm looking forward to it. :)

Julie Lucy wrote: "Great review Julie !!"

Thanks so much, Lucy!! 💖

Julie Brandice wrote: "This was my first Larry Watson book too, I enjoyed the story overall. Great review, Julie! :)"

Thanks so much, Brandice!! Glad we both enjoyed this one! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Julie."

Thanks so much, Angela!! 💖

Julie Melissa wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! I have "Edie Pritchard" on my list -- I've read a good number of reviews that praise it, including yours. I'm looking forward to it. :)"

Thank you very much, Melissa!! I'd love to get your take on this one! 💖

message 25: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Excellent review, Julie! On my TBR already or would have added it.

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Excellent review, Julie! On my TBR already or would have added it."

Thanks so much, Antoinette!! Looking forward to your thoughts on this one!💖

message 27: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Wonderful review, Julie! I'd really like to read some of Watson's work. I'm glad you were happy with your first attempt!

Julie Candi wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! I'd really like to read some of Watson's work. I'm glad you were happy with your first attempt!"

Thank you very much, Candi!! 💖

message 29: by JanB (new)

JanB I think it's fun to try something different than our usual. I'm so glad this worked out so well for you. Anytime I'm riveted to the page it's a winner. Terrific review Julie!

Julie JanB wrote: "I think it's fun to try something different than our usual. I'm so glad this worked out so well for you. Anytime I'm riveted to the page it's a winner. Terrific review Julie!"

Thanks so much, Jan!! I think I'll continue to step outside my comfort zone this year. 💖