Victoria's Reviews > The Silence of the Girls

The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker

I’d been looking forward to reading this for a long time, especially after seeing the Troy exhibition at The British Museum earlier this year.

The Silence of the Girls focuses on Briseis, a Trojan Queen, and her experiences of the war after her city is sacked, her family slaughtered and she is forced to become Achilles’ bed slave.

What I loved about this book is its unique perspective. The women of the Trojan war are largely consigned to history as secondary characters and to blame for men’s actions. It was also well written.

What I didn’t enjoy were the chapters purely about Achilles. They were still well written, offering an insight into his psyche and moving the narrative along, but even so I thought the whole story was to be narrated by Briseis so this let it down for me a little. I suppose this was intentional as women weren’t privy to so much, especially any decision-making.

All in all this was a fantastic book that I’ll definitely re-read but I preferred Madeline Miller’s Circe.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silence of the Girls.

May 30, 2020 – Started Reading