Jennifer Whitehead's Reviews > One Moment

One Moment by Kristina McBride

May 25, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Thank you NetGalley for letting me read the ARC!

To begin, I love a good ya novel, but this one felt more like a brutal victimization of the main character than a charmingly romantic ya book. BUT... I read it in one evening, so it surely captivated my attention. Then, I stayed up thinking about it - even eventually recommending it to my students.

Things I didn't like about One Moment: I felt that Adam's character was too brooding and sullen to actually communicate the depth of love for Maggie that was shown at the end. It didn't develop enough into Maggie-and-Adam to be a plausible as I'd like, and it ended rather abruptly.

Things I liked about One Moment: Shannon was easy to hate. Readers like to have a good villainess and she fit the bill. Joey's hazy perfection was easy to believe since so many people idolize the dead. And the idea of memory loss was an added feature for Maggie, an effective tool, literally-speaking.

Maggie was sweet and kind - I enjoyed her bumbling perspective on the events involving the accident. She was rather believable because she wasn't too saccharine.

Overall, I think this book is a great little read when you want an emotive self-discovery "mystery" about what you have within you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Moment.