Danielle Burns's Reviews > Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief by Dee White

bookshelves: aww, aww2020, historical-fiction, middle-grade
Read 2 times. Last read April 24, 2020 to May 5, 2020.

This marvellous novel shines a spotlight on human nature and its ability to rise above the most difficult situations. It's a fictional tale about a little known facet of the Nazi occupation of Paris where Jewish children were protected by Algerian Muslims in the Paris Grand Mosque during World War II.

In this Middle Grade/YA novel we follow the story of Ruben (aka Abdul) from his hiding place in a Paris basement to the mosque and his daring escape to the south of France. In Rubens' voice we not only learn about the dangers everyone is facing during this time but we also experience all the emotions of a young boy who suddenly finds himself having to cope on his own for the first time. It feels authentic that he tries to remember what his parents would have advised as he works out who he can trust and how to survive .

Dee White has a long career in writing Australian youth fiction and is well known for her ability to tell tough stories in an accessible way. She has obviously put an enormous amount of research into this novel. I feel sure that it will do very well, especially in Australian schools where there is a definite need for a text to provide a fresh new perspective on the Holocaust.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Belief.

Finished Reading