Joseph Michael Owens's Reviews > Viriconium

Viriconium by M. John Harrison

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: science-fiction, favorites, steampunk

Read my full review at InDigest Magazine!

...Viriconium richly rewards those who put in the time to soak up its sentences from each and every page. I did call Viriconium; I believe it is. I challenge readers to give this book a whirl for themselves. Some will inevitably not like it, but that's OK because even those readers would be hard-pressed to deny Viriconium's originality.

Beware the geteit chemosit…”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viriconium.

May 24, 2012 – Shelved
July 1, 2012 – Shelved as: science-fiction
page 227
page 257
page 257
55.63% "Just finished the first 2 novellas in the Viriconium omnibus and, HOLY SHIT!! Remarkable. Harrison is painting with words; for a world as bleak and unforgiving as the one in which Viriconium (a city like no other...) is situated, the descriptions are truly beautiful and masterfully crafted. I'm truly at a loss for how impressed I am with this book so far!"
July 11, 2012 –
July 17, 2012 –
page 343
July 17, 2012 –
page 343
74.24% "This page marks the end of the 3rd novella, "In Viriconium" and the only thing I can say {as I've said before} is wow. . . . (!!!) I'm going to start a running review of this underrated work of art. stay tuned!"
July 17, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 20, 2012 –
page 384
August 15, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
January 3, 2013 – Shelved as: steampunk

Kyle Muntz I agree with everything you said here; fantastic review! I'm really glad you picked this one up--it's a book I wish everyone would read, but one not many people seem to be interested in.

Joseph Michael Owens ^^ Which is both a bummer and completely their loss (my 2 cents).

Joseph Michael Owens Kyle: I think I've been...infected. I'm sort of jonesing to read it again already....

Kyle Muntz Ha! I know the feeling--I've been wanting to go back for a while. I probably would have already, if not for the other trilogy Harrison just finished.

Joseph Michael Owens So the first two books are already available then?!

Joseph Michael Owens I wish I didn't live in a bubble of solid work so I could keep up with this kind of thing!

Kyle Muntz Yeah, Harrison wrote a trilogy of three science fiction novels that he just finished--Light, Nova Swing, and Empty Space, which came out last month I think. I've read the first two and really liked both; they're different from Viriconium, but have the same kind of skill behind them.

Joseph Michael Owens Light is "on deck," as it were, for me!

Joseph Michael Owens As a side note, I didn't realize that was a trilogy but it's good to know!!*

message 10: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Muntz They're not a trilogy exactly, but they're all set in the same universe. Light and Nova Swing are completely separate, but I've heard that Empty Space draws on elements/characters from both of them.

message 11: by Kyle (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle Muntz I reread Light over the summer, and I'm hoping to go back to Nova Swing over the next month or so.