Alana's Reviews > Man of War: My Adventures in the World of Historical Reenactment

Man of War by Charlie Schroeder

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, first-reads
Recommended for: val

absolutely phenomenal! schroeder combines fact, whit, and the 'realities of war' for a variety of periods. for example, i learned spainish pieces of eight were the first global currency. there were interesting tidbits mixed within his encounters with reenacters.
liberally sprinkled throughout were schroeder's witty observations. my favorite was 'flatulus' the farting roman. (i nearly died of laughter while reading the "I, carolus" chapter!)
also, liked the fact that he shared when he got hurt. he didn't gloss over the pain of his busted eardrum, his sore bum, or blistered feet. he 'told it like it was' pain and all.
just a few minor gripes about the book. i really would've LOVED to see pictures of his many costumes and places he visited. and finally, turkey LEG/LEGS not legge/legges (sorry charlie got to point out the typos).
overall, i greatly enjoyed the book. i learned, laughed, and groaned every step of his journey. he really made me want to get out and pick a period and get involved!

(Received free through Goodreads First Reads)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man of War.

May 24, 2012 – Shelved
June 23, 2012 –
page 193
June 24, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi I haven't read the book (yet), but I would imagine that 'legge' and 'legges' are probably not typos but imitations of Middle English spelling.