Book Chatter-Cath's Reviews > Silver

May 24, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: to-read-review, netgalley, reviewed
Read from May 24 to 27, 2012

Celtic myth has really taken off lately, and I thought Silver sounded like another new and interesting take on legends of old.

Silver has been written well and I was for the most part, kept entertained by all the teenage angst and boyfriend stealing!

But I floundered in the beginning.
The author literally drops you into a party and expects you to instantly connect - here's Brianna, she's the heroine, like her.
I felt like I'd missed the first chapter or something, even flicking back to the front of the book several times to double check - and because of that, it took me longer to get a feel for the main character, Brianna.

Had perhaps more time been spent explaining what happened when Brianna was in the eighth grade at the beginning of the book as either a prelude, flashback or something similar (ie before the opening party scene) instead of peppered amongst the growing story surrounding Blake's attraction to her, it could have made the story a little more coherent. The story flow was interrupted too often with disjointed tidbits rather than any actual insights.

I really didn't feel the ending did the story any justice either.
It was a mishmash of chapters where an attempt was made to tidy up all the threads of the story. Again, if this had been less disjointed it probably would have been a more enjoyable read.

Overall though I enjoyed the story but it just lacked a bit of polish. The Danu story kept me interested, but I felt the book was let down by its predictability and so for me Silver lost some of its shine.

Still a worthwhile 3 star read :]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver.

05/24/2012 page 278