Lyn's Reviews > Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

I have heard Stardust by Neil Gaiman described as a fairy tale told for adults, and I think Gaiman himself said something of the kind. That is as succinct a description as comes close to this very entertaining novel.

Actually it is a Faerie tale, since Gaiman depicts a journey into that magical world and the village of Wall, which is a “boundary” between the two worlds. Though the author pays homage to nineteenth century storylines, he eschews the flowery language and opts for more post-modern prose to narrate his retrospective, pre-Tolkeinesque fantasy.

I can see the comparisons to The Princess Bride, but for reasons that I cannot explain or understand, I frequently found myself thinking of The Great God Pan.

All in all, an enjoyable Goodread.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stardust.

May 24, 2012 – Started Reading
May 24, 2012 – Shelved
May 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader I've been wanting to read a Neil Gaiman book and your review makes me want to even more.^^ Nice review, Lyn!^^

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks, AJ, this would be a good one to start

April Cote Great review. I enjoyed the movie, so I'm guessing I'llll love the book even more.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Lyn wrote: "Thanks, AJ, this would be a good one to start"

Noted!^^ Thanks.^^

message 5: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks, April, I have not seen the film, but I have read good reviews

Stuart Very nice graphic, Lyn. I liked both the book and film versions of Stardust, but I thought The Graveyard Book was overrated.

message 7: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks, Stuart!

Gary K Bibliophile My favorite Neil Gaimen story and the one I recommend to anyone interested in his work.

message 9: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn ;)

message 10: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary Catelli The movie has a number of distinct difference from the novel.

message 11: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I need to watch it again

Gintare Bakanauskaite Like seeing such a good review about my favorite reads. I was mesmerised by the book, that I read it twice:)

message 13: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn I need to reread

message 14: by Montana (new) - added it

Montana Great review Lyn! I was debating about putting this one on my TBR list but after your review it's definitely on there now

message 15: by Lyn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lyn Thanks Montana it’s a must read in the genre

message 16: by Monica (new)

Monica All Heinlein's Are:D