Rachel Fisher's Reviews > The Resistance

The Resistance by Gemma Malley

May 24, 2012

Read from May 24 to 28, 2012

For more of my reviews go to www.rachelefisher.com

Title: The Resistance (The Declaration Trilogy)
Author: Gemma Malley
Rating: 4 Stars

My Review

I stand corrected. I “resisted” reading the rest of this trilogy despite enjoying the first book (The Declaration) and I’m not sure why. I guess I wasn’t entranced enough to put it higher on my TBR list. However, it floated to the top eventually and I finished it off with satisfaction and chagrin that I waited so long. I liked it better than the first.

The fact that the cover was a man’s face should have told me that it would focus heavily on Peter’s perspective, rather than Anna’s, but I still found this a surprise. At first, I was annoyed because I’d enjoyed Anna’s perspective, but as the story progressed I realized why it had to focus so heavily on Peter.

I also was unsold on Jude, to start with. His character was a little grating, but given his life circumstances, you could see how he might turn out that way.

Without giving any spoilers, I can say that the fact that Malley held back the actual words of the Declaration until this book was a good move. Very calculated in its build-up. You’ve heard so much about it and when it finally appears, it’s as disgusting as you had imagined, and more so. Let’s just say that it will be familiar, and that is what is so twisted…that’s all I’m gonna say.

I think that the increased understanding of Longevity and what it takes society to support it is well-done. I do like the science-y aspects of books (as you know), and this book had more of that aspect. I also think the world-building was better in this one, seeing as the first spent the majority of its time within the confines of Grange Hall. This time, you get a sense of all the cogs in the machine…how this dystopia developed. I always like that. Even in The Hunger Games, I was kind of annoyed that Collins never explained what had caused society’s downfall in the first place (though I overlooked it bc the rest of it was so good).

I do think that the villains are a little one-dimensional, with the exception of Dr. Edwards. I liked the development of his character and the story behind it. It gave me more of that sense of, “How did we get here?”

I resonate with the questions being asked in this series and really want to see where she goes with it from here. I think it was mostly very well-paced and kept me wanting to learn more (although the biggest plot twist I saw coming a mile away, I have to say). I also liked the way that it got steadily more horrifying, deepening my investment in the heros.

I am now looking forward to the third book and will definitely give it a higher priority on my TBR. I can’t wait too long to see how it all plays out! (On a side note, it feels very British at times, which makes sense bc Malley is British. That being said, I wondered if she would cringe to hear her beloved characters speaking inside my head with American accents! LOL.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Resistance.

05/24/2012 page 45
05/26/2012 page 250
77.0% "She took it from The Declaration of Independence and my skin actually crawled. To hear those words twisted in that way. Wasn't expecting it bc she is British, but it is beautifully disgusting..."