Giselle's Reviews > A Midsummer's Nightmare

A Midsummer's Nightmare by Kody Keplinger

May 24, 2012

bookshelves: arc, own
Read on June 01, 2012

After hearing so much about Kody Keplinger, I finally took the plunge and picked this one up - it will not be my last. It may be a bit formulaic, but I enjoyed the characters immensely, and Whitley's story is full of drama, attitude, and misgivings that makes it a real page turner.

Whitley's constant partying and flirting has given her quite the reputation, and her only vacation from all of this has turned out to be more of a nightmare. Whitley's problems are intense. She's the kind of character that is not necessarily likeable as she makes dumb, reckless choices and complains incessantly. Strangely, however, I didn't find this irritating; her less than endearing qualities is what makes the story all the more appealing. It gets us to care, to hope that she can come out of it unscathed. She's got a great, compelling voice that leads us to understand her behaviour even when we don't approve of it. She's battling a lot of issues that keep piling up on her; partying. drinking, meaningless hookups is how she escapes her inner demons. I found her emotions to be very raw and genuine, making her easy to connect and sympathize with.

I also enjoyed the side characters a great deal: Fabulous and supporting friend, Harrison; adorable, caring Bailey; geeky, sweet Nathan; even her dad who is largely present by his absence. These people are just as empowering, just as realistically flawed as Whitley, providing us with genuine cast of supporting characters who develop and grow throughout the story as well.

As I mentioned, the plot can seem a bit formulaic. Lashing out, craving parental attention, hitting rock bottom and bouncing back, with everything resolved nicely with a bow at the end. Regardless of its predictability, the journey is poignant, thrilling, and awfully romantic. I was surprised at what started out being hugely family oriented, the story ended up revolving mostly around the romance: An impractical, but impassioned romance. At the beginning Nathan seems very bland and I had a hard time taking hold of his personality. Was he a jock, a geek, someone who parties incessantly, someone tame? As the book moves along, however, we get to know how very atypical of a guy he is. And easily the most warmhearted, kind soul in Whitley's life. The romance itself emits plenty of chemistry, but I'm not sure I was ever truly comfortable with the unorthodox situation. The family seemed to not make much of it either, and we didn't dwell on any future circumstances - the ending left me wanting to know more about the ramifications of this relationship. But as it's meant to be a more breezy summer read I simply rolled with it. Weird situation aside, it's got plenty of swoon-worthy goodness!

It's always risky to write about such strong, controversial topics. Teenage issues can be quite serious and a lot of authors don't want to go too far down that road. I'm very impressed by how Kody addresses it. She wrote an intense, captivating novel with real problems that teenagers can relate to, all the while leaving it into an effortless read.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Midsummer's Nightmare.

07/17/2016 marked as: read

Farah Hanani You are a FAST READER o.O

Giselle This was only like 280 pages though :)

message 3: by Angie (new) - added it

Angie I could have sworn I added this to my to-read after reading The Duff: Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Weird, adding it now! Can't wait for your review! :D

Giselle This was my first book by Kody I'll have to read The Duff now :)

Henrietta I like The Duff too! Thanks for the great review, I'm adding this to my summer reading list.

♥Rachel♥ Giselle, I was looking forward to this before your review but even more now! I'm glad you found the romance to your liking even if it was a little improbable. :)

~Tina~ I really enjoy Keplinger books so it's great to hear this sounds just as good. Great review hun!

Jasprit So glad you enjoyed this one Giselle, I've only picked up one book by her previously Shut Out which I really enjoyed I really should pick up more of her books up soon! :)

Eunice Glad to know you loved it, Giselle. I was so looking forward for this book since I discovered it! And I'm more excited now after reading your review. :)

Jackie Miller I just bought this one today! I loved The Duff and can't wait to read this one. I'm glad you liked it :)

Sumney The duff and shut out are two other books by Kody Keplinger and they're both really good! Remember a girl named Bianca? she was mentioned a couple times in a midsummer's nightmare and she's the main character of the duff :)

message 12: by Mika (new)

Mika Auguste My favorite honestly was the duff but I can't wait to read this one