B.C. Deeks's Reviews > Chase the Dark

Chase the Dark by Annette Marie

bookshelves: romance-urban-fantasy
Recommended for: new adult and adult fantasy readers of all ages

This is the first time I have ever pulled out the credit card and bought a 6- book series in one click on Amazon! I read @AnnetteMarie’s Guild Codex: Spellbound series and loved it so I was feeling confident when I found Book 1 of the STEEL & STONE UNIVERSE series, CHASE THE DARK.
Annette Marie is amazingly talented. Her worldbuilding is extraordinary, her characters are so well developed, you worry about them when you aren’t with them and you can not stop at one book. Thus, the one-click Amazon purchase. I read the entire series in one marathon session – including a couple of all-nighters!
My favorite character is Ashtoroth, although he is the dark hero and the antagonist of the series; I never can resist a fallen angel. The protagonist is Piper who is tough, stubborn, (somewhat) irritating but sympathetic when you first meet her in Book 1. She’s the only child of the (male) Head Consul, caught between the powerful supernatural daemon world and the powerless human world, as a biracial child of both - without magic. Along with Ash, Piper has Lyre, an incubus daemon as her best friend, and a cast of other fully developed secondary characters as an integral part of her incredible world. I should say, ‘worlds’, since the author creates three distinct realms within the Steel and Stone Universe and the means to travel between them. The plot is thick and full of tension, action, and emotion that keeps you turning pages as Piper builds her relationships with Ash and Lyre and develops her self confidence and strengths in this epic fantasy.
Since I was able to read these in one long session (which is why I’m writing a ‘series review’ rather than a book-by-book review’) I can’t say if it would be frustrating to read them out of order or as stand-alones. While each story had a solid plot arc, there was an episodic feel to the books with a cliff hanger ending until the conclusion of Book 6. That said, I didn’t feel dissatisfied at any point and the wrap up of the series was complete and climactic.
This is classified as new adult but if a reader loves fantasy and adventure, pick up this series, clear your calendar and dive it. It’s fabulous.
NOTE: I would recommend reading the Spell Weaver Trilogy first if you have an opportunity. It provides a backstory on Pipers best friend and daemon/incubus Lyre. It didn’t inhibit my understanding of the S&S series but would have given me a bit more understanding of Lyre’s character- I read the trilogy immediately after the S&S series. Yup I’m totally addicted to this author’s work!
twitter.com/annettemmarie
www.facebook.com/AuthorAnnetteMarie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chase the Dark.

May 26, 2020 – Shelved