Aaron Conrad's Reviews > Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

Love Does by Bob Goff

May 24, 2012

If you’ve been around this blog any time at all, you probably know a few things about me. First, I review a lot of books. Second, I have given more than a few of them 4 or 5 out of 5′s. Lastly, “Quiet Strength” by Tony Dungy has spent an unbelievable amount of time at the top of my favorite all-time books. As a matter of fact, I think it’s undefeated. A lot of books have run past my eyes but Coach Dungy remained strong with very little challenge. Until this week…

Mr. Dungy…you are now number two. I would like to congratulate and celebrate the new number one slot on my list, Mr. Bob Goff and the book “Love Does”. I don’t have any shiny awards and I’m pretty sure the New York Times Best Seller list is a tad more exciting, but hey, it’s my list and I’m proud to make this announcement. Really, I just want you all to know how strongly I feel about the book I just read the last words in.

Best. Book. Ever.

I’ve told my wife on a few occasions that if I never woke up in the morning, I have lived a crazy full life. When I say that, I mean it. I’m not talking about college educations or jobs held. I’m talking crazy “luck” (if you want to call it that) and insane journeys. I have trouble making a bucket list because there have been remarkable opportunities that have already happened. It’s what Carlos Whitaker (name dropping) and I discussed once. I don’t say this to brag, I say this because I connect with “Love Does” on this and so many other levels. Bob Goff has LIVED. I mean REALLY LIVED. “Love Does” will show you just how much.

From the opening chapters, I was laughing so hard I literally cried. If there was ever a book I connected with from the opening words, it is “Love Does”. Each chapter reads like a mini-sermon, but Bob’s not preaching. He’s telling stories about a life lived and how it intertwines with his faith in Jesus. It’s lessons he’s learned while being willing to try what others would say is impossible. By living a “why not” life, he experiences a faith and a love of Jesus that many of us may never experience. There are far more underlined words in my copy of this book than there are not. I will refer to it over and over again.

Let me leave you with three things. First, what other author would drop his cell phone number on the last page of a book for ANYONE that would like to give him a call (I’m SOOOOOO tempted)? Second is what might be one of my favorite quotes from the book:

I used to want to fix people, but now I just want to be with them

I love that quote on so, so many levels. Last, is another quote, but I believe it’s a charge to us all. You’ll need to read the book to understand the context, but he simply said:

Be Awesome

That’s it. No big religious theories or tied up manuals. Follow Jesus and when you live this life to the fullest, “Be Awesome”.

Bob, I think you are doing just that. Thanks for writing your story. Thanks for sharing your heart. Thanks for “Love Does”. Thanks for “Being Awesome”.

No disclaimers needed on this one. I didn’t review it for any group. I read it on my own and it. was. awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Does.

May 24, 2012 – Started Reading
May 24, 2012 – Shelved
May 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

cathy My sentiments EXACTLY!