preppea's Reviews > Lock and Key

Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, coming-of-age, zz-reviewed

I wish I'd gone into this book expecting a coming of age story and not a young adult romance. I think if I'd known what to expect (although in hindsight the book description never said there'd be romance - so this is my own fault for assuming), I would have enjoyed it more. I was instantly caught up in the style of writing and the descriptions - Sarah Dessen tells the story in a way that allows you to picture the entire scene in vivid detail. Ruby's life with her mom reminded me of The Glass Castle in the way that you don't want to believe a parent could be that way or that a kid could be forced to grow up so fast. After a whle though, I lost some of my interest because I kept waiting for a romance between Ruby and Nate to start, not realizing that was really just a minimal part of the story. As a coming of age story, this is great and beautifully written. Ruby is a 3 dimensional character and though she fights forming any friendships because of her fears of being abandoned, she ends up making a few quirky friends that are exactly what she needs after all she's been through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock and Key.

May 23, 2012 – Shelved
July 8, 2012 – Started Reading
July 8, 2012 –
0.0% "I'm only 8% in but I love the style of writing. The author has this way of writing that is so lyrical and warm that no matter what she's telling me, I'm buying... It's a really enjoyable start :)"
July 26, 2012 – Finished Reading