preppea's Reviews > Bared to You

Bared to You by Sylvia Day

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: erotica, romance, zz-reviewed

So I would actually rate this book a 4.5. This book was hot. There were some things I liked and some things I didn't like - but either way it was addictive and enjoyable and I can't wait to read the sequel. And I would re-read this one in a heart beat.

I liked that the author really committed to her messed up characters - even the best friend Cary, we're not just told he has issues and then he is somehow the perfect best friend - no, we actually get to see him screw up and have issues. I loved that. I thought it really added to the depth of the characters and I liked each character so much, issues and all. Even the minor characters were fun and had their own distinct personalities. I also really liked that for the first time in I don't know how many books, the main guy (Gideon) didn't hate the guy best friend (Cary)- Gideon and Cary were able to appreciate the other person's role in Eva's life - which was really refreshing for a change.

For me, this book was extremely similar to Fifty Shades - so even though I tried not to, it was hard not to compare at every step. The good news for me was that I really liked Fifty Shades - so hey, the more the merrier. Another big plus, Eva never talked about her "inner goddess" which I was VERY grateful for. And even though Gideon and Eva both have issues, they're also really mature about acknowledging them and trying to work through them.

Spoiler-ish comments below***

I should start by saying I really like controlling, possessive men in my books. I just do. But Gideon was over the top in the beginning, and his pick up line???? Attrocious. But I guess that's kind of the point - he is not looking for a relationship and has no problem saying exactly what he wants...

Then near the end of the book Gideon has what I guess is supposed to be a revelation where he realizes what Eva needs from him - but I didn't get it... I just think if the author wanted to go in that direction - I would have wanted it to be more - obvious? Thorough? therwise it just seemed like a random and weak point that was never really followed through with other than in the most basic, obvious ways... I didn't really think the revelation added to the story or to their journey...

On the plus side, for a guy who has NO experience with relationships -he is remarkably good at admitting when he makes a mistake. I didn't even realize men could acknowledge they made mistakes - much less admit them to their significant other - and he jumps all over himself to admit his mistakes and prove to Eva that he's willing to change. So to that I say = go Eva - don't let this one go!

Finally, I was really hoping we'd get to hear more about Gideon's past in this book - so I'm really hoping he opens up even more in the next one. But man, for a guy who has so many issues - he is also loyal and committed and ready to hold on with all he's got - it made him even hotter in my book and I'm really looking forward to seeing him again in the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bared to You.

May 23, 2012 – Shelved