Debbie 's Reviews > Improper Relations

Improper Relations by Juliana Ross

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: arc-to-read, romance, sizzler, historical-romance, novella, erotic-romance, erotica

Posted on www.talkingsupe.com

Juliana Ross' historical erotic novella Improper Relations is the perfect read for those who enjoy the genre and need a quick fix when short on time. This tantalizing story from the debut author will have your toes curling and cheeks blushing from all the steamy improper relations our hero and heroine get themselves tangled in.

“I was nearly thirty years old, had once been married, and I’d never known, never suspected, that a woman could do such a thing to a man. It was the most fascinating, appalling, thrilling act I had ever witnessed.”

Improper Relations begins with our heroine, Hannah, witnessing her late husband’s cousin, Leo, tête-à-têtes with a maid in the home library. Curious and intrigued, Hannah elects to stay hidden and continue watching Leo and the maids romp in the library. As soon as Leo is finished with the maid, he calls for Hannah to come out of hiding. When Leo asks Hannah why she stayed and watched instead of running out of the room, she confesses that she was fascinated at how the maid had enjoyed having sex with him and never knew that it could be like that for women. Leo informs her that the act of lovemaking is something that both men and women could enjoy. Leo proposes that he could show Hannah exactly what he’s talking about and let her experience the pleasures of lovemaking that she never did while she was married. Curious and eager to learn, Hannah agrees to get schooled in the art of sex by cousin Leo.

“Tell me what this feels like,” he demanded.
“It’s very nice,” I said.
“Nice? That’s all you have to say? Nice?”
“I beg your pardon -”
“It’s more than goddamn nice,” he growled. “It’s bloody perfect, that’s what it is.”

Over the course of the next few weeks, Leo shows Hannah how to be comfortable with her sexuality and for once enjoy being pleasured and pleasuring her partner. Since the story is told from Hannah’s point of view, we really don’t see the progress of Leo’s romantic feelings for Hannah but after spending a few intimate times with Leo, Hannah develops feelings for Leo. Hannah had previously admitted that she had always been attracted to Leo but since he was younger and related to her husband, she could only keep those feelings to herself. Even though she’s been working for her Aunt for free over the last few years, Hannah feels indebted to her after taking in a penniless widow and resolves to not expect her “relationship” with Leo to go any further.

“I can’t get enough of you, can’t stop thinking about you. What have you done to me?”

Hannah was a likeable character. I admired her curiosity, eagerness and willing to learn from Leo no matter how improper their relations may be. In a time where women were expected to submit to their husband’s needs, Hannah took it upon herself to discover the wonderful pleasure a man and woman could experience together. Leo was a great teacher and lover. He was blunt with the language he used with Hannah to teach her about sex but at the same time was tender and patient. Being the second son of a wealthy family, I was surprised about how secretly successful he was and just wasn’t mischievous and unsuccessful son others had assumed him to be.

Although I felt that the ending was a bit rushed and would have enjoyed further character development (which I had expected since it is such a shortt story) I really enjoyed this novella. It was sweet, romantic, sensual and I was pleased with the happily ever after ending. Juliana Ross is a promising author and I look forward to reading a full-pledge romance novel from her in the future.

*ARC provided by NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Improper Relations.

May 23, 2012 – Started Reading
May 23, 2012 – Shelved
May 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2012 –
100.0% "Thank you MIss Ross. That was delightful."
May 24, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-to-read