Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Point of Retreat

liked it
bookshelves: ebook, my-books, young-adult
Read from May 23 to 24, 2012 — I own a copy

What I really liked:
- Reading from Will's POV; sometimes a narration switch doesn't work, but in this case I enjoyed it a lot
- The relationships between the characters/the family connection: the whole cast of characters were a lot of fun, and I loved how the best friends and the main characters made their own unconventional family

Not so much:
- Double drama: first the big problem/story arc really annoyed me (which I'll get to), and then as soon as you think the drama is over? BAM, another piece of drama... I would have liked it if there was only one major dramatic situation. The two felt a bit much.
- Layken's whole attitude for 3/4 of the book. I really liked this girl in the first book, but her reaction to a specific situation was incredibly immature, and she let it go on for way too long. Obviously we can't agree with every decision a character makes, and conflict is what makes a story, but it was just so annoying to see her act so childish.

Overall:
- Still an enjoyable read; I'm glad I discovered these books!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Point of Retreat.

Chelle Totally agree with your assessment. With the way Layken behaved in the first half of the book, she's lucky Will didn't tell her to go "butterfly" herself! :D

Tracy Benner I found the double drama a bit soap opera-ey, as well! In fact, I skimmed the whole Vaughn drama because, I felt that these characters would not have let her derail their relationship. My favorite moment in the series remains Ellie's balloon birthday.