Javier Real's Reviews > Man's Search for Meaning

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl

The first part of this book shows us what happened inside of some concentration camps in the Nazi era during the Second World War. Then onto the second part the author presents us with his psychiatric theory, Logotherapy.

I had already read books and watched movies about the concentration camps. But maybe it was something that I learned and then later left it forgotten in my memories, but to read it from someone that lived all of those atrocities made me bring back a lot of questioning, emotions of disbelief, surprise, anguish, powerless, terror and even some of anger. However, the author tells us of some of these experiences from the psychiatric point of view, he said it himself, it is not a historic book, but one of what we lived and experienced, and with the help of his psychiatric background could understand the what and why of what was happening, and make his conclusions about the human behavior.

I think we should never forget this moment of the human history where we can see the different ¨races¨ of man, the decent and indecent race.

I´m not a psychiatric nor phycologist but his Logotherapy theory makes a lot of sense and reading thru it was filled with aha! and reflection moments. It is interesting how this theory approaches the patient from the human point of view, without involving religions or believes.

I think it is an excellent book to read when we are felling stock in life and that things are not working out as expected or planned. It should be a must-read during adolescence, besides the reading is light and easy to follow and understand without any previous knowledge on psychology. As the title of the book says it, it will help you to find a meaning, and even it does not hold a secret recipe, it definitely helps as reference point to begin you own quest for your meaning.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Man's Search for Meaning.

May 24, 2020 – Started Reading