Badass Bloggettes's Reviews > Acer

Acer by A.M. Hargrove

bookshelves: fast-paced, romantic-suspense, series, sharon

Acer Kent is the stereotypical baby of the family. He is more interested in fun and hanging out in the here and now than planning for an independent future and a career. He knows how to play his parents to get more time to grow up—until now. His parents are ready to pull out their tough love and kick him out on his own. While Acer is thinking about what to do, a friend calls about a temp job. He needs a shipment of computer parts picked up and delivered to his warehouse. This is the perfect job for Acer, good pay for a little investment of time. He can make a little money to get into a place of his own, while he thinks about how to continue his carefree life.

Acer begins to question this job when he gets to the dock. Everything about the pickup feels fishy and cloak and dagger, instead of a legitimate business deal. His call to Paulie, the friend who recommended the job, doesn’t calm his concerns. The farther Acer travels up the highway, his memory of his conversations with Paulie niggle at him. He thinks that Paulie is going to cheat him out of his pay. He pulls over to check the cargo to grab some parts for insurance, and finds he isn’t carrying what he thought. He calls his sister-in-law for help then he contacts the FBI and all hell breaks loose.

This is Isla and Acer’s story. Isla is the lead FBI agent assigned to the case. Quickly the FBI team realizes that Acer needs protection and sets him up in a safe house with Isla and her team. It turns out that Isla is the best friend of Acer’s older brother. Their tale is told from their dual points of view putting the reader in each character’s head as the fun, pain, heartache, and resolution unfolds. Ms. Hargrove keeps the reader invested in the relationship while they battle throw the danger surrounding them.

The first forty percent of the story is getting to know Isla, Acer, and their families. It is a sweet, fun distraction mixed in with the FBI investigation into the illegal activities in which Acer is embroiled. I enjoyed the banter among the brothers and Acer’s parents. It is obvious that this is a tight family. Isla and Acer’s relationship turns steamy while they try to remain professional. Then it feels like Isla makes some rookie moves that does not make sense for “the favorite top FBI agent” on her team. More than once during these middle chapters I did major eye-rolls. I understand it is the author setting up the climax, but it didn’t feel real to me.

Acer takes a dark turn and becomes very intense half-way through. As the suspense heats up, my stomach does a few flips. I like dark. The author takes care to hint at some sick behavior without any detailed description. My heart hurts for this couple, but then there is a subsequent loss that feels unnecessary. I am not sure why the author went down that path. Even when the couple shares their life events later, it feels brushed over to me. It is like, life happens and they both more forward. It makes me question why, again. In the end, Acer wraps up nicely, with a hint at what will happen in the second book in this series. Acer is a good beginning to the A.M. Hargrove’s new Kent Brothers series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acer.

May 22, 2020 – Started Reading