Mary Anne's Reviews > Deadlocked

Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

bookshelves: charlaine-harris, fiction

I am a little astonished at how much I enjoyed reading this book. It's probably due to having super low expectations. I wasn't so pleased with some of the latest releases, though I'm also not super passionate about this series.

What I like best about this book is what I've loved about all the books: they're an easy and fun read. I like the characters well enough, though there are a lot of them and sometimes it's a little hard to follow. One of the things that I noticed in this one is that Harris doesn't go into major recaps of what happened in the other books. This is both a good and bad thing: I don't need to hear over and over again about Sookie's condition, but given how much has happened and how many characters there are, it would be nice for a couple recaps. Generally speaking, I think Harris does a good job of including dialogue to cover some of those gaps, and I appreciate that technique.

I know people get annoyed whenever Sookie goes into things like "I went to the Sonic" or "Today on my Word-A-Day calendar" but honestly, those little things really help me appreciate Sookie as a character. I also notice that with these books, the climax is quick and typically huge, and then there is another page or two and you're done. Normally I think that wouldn't work, but I like how it works here because occasionally it takes time for things to settle down or for closure to happen.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadlocked.

May 23, 2012 – Started Reading
May 25, 2012 –
page 230
May 27, 2012 –
page 272
83.18% "Actually sort of enjoying it."
May 28, 2012 –