Sarabeth's Reviews > The Prophet

The Prophet by Amanda Stevens

F 50x66
May 23, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I cannot begin to explain how much I love the Graveyard Queen series. The steamy southern gothic atmosphere and the sultry rythym of the pacing are the perfect combination for me. The first two books and 'The Abandoned,' the e-book prequel, were loaded with gorgeous imagery that was in turns creepy and beautiful. The haunting prose leads you by the hand from scene to scene - sometimes before you are even ready to go, I became so immersed it was like coming up for air when I was finished. But I felt that 'The Prophet' fell a little short in these areas. Yes it advanced the storyline, there was some closure to previous storylines, and more questions for future installments. For that the book was wonderful in it's own way; a love interest is solidified (or so it seems) and a new evil is uncovered so the desire for the next book is definitly present, but I still felt rushed. So much so that when I was finished (without the coming up for air feeling) I had to double check that this book was just as long as it's predecessors (it is.) I also was disappointed that the major storyline from 'The Kingdom' that of Amelia's family history, was completely missing from this book. So much in fact that it almost felt like it was a dream and that we were picking up right where 'The Restorer' left off instead of continuing the whole plotline of the series. So while I can't say I didn't enjoy the read, I felt there easily could have been more. More story, more imagery, and more to tie everything together. Hopefully I won't feel as disjointed when the next book in the series comes out, because I will definitly be reading it! If you enjoy the heady romance of the South, or like a bit of creepiness and mystery in your urban fantasy, I highly encourage you to pick these up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prophet.