buppyspek's Reviews > House of Leaves

House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

May 23, 2012

bookshelves: horror, satire, pretentious-literature, thriller, experimental, favorites, paperback, read-2012

This was not at all what I was expecting. I've tried to read a lot of books that I classify as "pretentious post-modern literature." I won't deny this book's pretentiousness, but this was the first "pretentious post-modern literature" book I've actually been able to finish. And I loved it.

It's weird. And not just because when you flip through the book at the store you see pages with backwards and upside-down writing. The layout reflects the plot. When the layout of the book is doing something weird, something weird is happening in the story. And there's more than one story happening at any given time. It's more like 3 stories wrapped up into one. There's the story in the documentary ("The Navidson Record"), there's the story that Zampano wrote (the "author" of the book about the documentary), and there's the story of Johnny Truant (who discovered Zampano's writings).

If this book is available for Kindle (and I don't see how), I would recommend against getting an e-book version. You really need to be able to touch this one. Feel it, turn it. It makes you a part of the story that way.

After I read about (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House of Leaves.