Sierra Dean's Reviews > She's Me

May 23, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: ebook, romance, dnf
Read on May 23, 2012

I had every intention of reading this all the way through, in spite of my misgivings about the beginning. It's a 76 page novella and I figured I should have no difficulty reading the whole thing.

But here I am, at 30% and I'm just done.

The dialogue is wooden, the characters are unbelievable and in Jenna's case completely shallow and unlikable. At 30% we are randomly introduced to Jake, and given no reason to understand how he knows Jenna and why he cares.

It was probably the dialogue that got me more than anything. It didn't flow naturally, and Jenna (an American) uses British slang and often uses very rigid, proper turns of phrase that I have trouble believing a 25 year old model would ever use.

Also, considering she's trapped in someone's body in 1963 I have a lot of trouble believing that her first order of business would be fixing Lucy's skin care system.

Overall, as a self-pub, the grammatical edits were spot on. It needed more dialogue tagging especially with Lucy/Jenna's internal dialogue which left me totally lost at points. Definitely would have benefited from professional editing to cut back on overwritten descriptions and help the story flow better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She's Me.