Daryl's Reviews > Running with Scissors

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

May 23, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction

Years ago, I saw the movie version of Running With Scissors, though as I started this book, I could really only remember one scene (when Augusten and Natalie bring down the ceiling in the kitchen to make a skylight). This book is funny, at times hilarious; sad, at times incredibly depressing; and always interesting, sometimes fascinating. As a novel, it would strain credibility in both the characters and events and situations they find themselves part of. As a memoir, it's totally bizarre. I know there's some controversy as to how accurate Burroughs' story is presented, but it's a book that never let me down in terms of holding my interest. That said, I didn't always and thoroughly enjoy the stories being told. Augusten presents his bizarre life in a pretty matter-of-fact fashion, leaving it up to the reader to see how strange it is. The people in his life are as odd and quirky as any a novelist might create, but because of that, they don't always seem "real." Probably my biggest gripe would be that some of the family members seem a little interchangeable, aren't really well differentiated. Given the story here, that should be an easy thing to accomplish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running with Scissors.