Sheree's Reviews > Little Night

Little Night by Luanne Rice

May 22, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: own, contemporary-fiction, read-in-2012, reviews

An overwhelming sense of suffocation and misery, had me thinking I wouldn't be able to finish this story, it made me angry and sad, it made my heart hurt and it also brought up some unpleasant memories. I managed to finish Little Night by putting on my big girl pants and stepping straight into the wreckage.

Anne's married a oxygen bandit controlling, abusive, narcissistic man who does little to hide his true character from others and her younger sister Clare has paid a steep price for trying to protect her sister and children; 2 years in prison. I couldn't help wishing that Clare had done a better job, knocked Frederick's head off rather than just denting it, he sure deserved it.

I didn't like Anne and I had trouble summoning empathy for her (makes me feel guilty just putting that in writing.) I understood the isolation and fear, the erosion of self esteem, the walking on eggshells, the loss of self but Anne's pretentious and superior attitude made it difficult to feel for her. But my heart broke for Anne's children, Grit and Gilly. It's difficult to stomach 'seeming' complacency in the face of emotional and physical torment, especially when children are involved.

The only lightness in Little Night comes via the descriptions of bird watching in Central Park. I guess there's an element of hope in the story - it's nice to see Clare finally come alive with the promise of a relationship with her niece Grit, up until that point Clare's pretty much hidden from life and happiness. Grit saved the story for me but overall this is a dark, depressing, train wreck of a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Night.

May 22, 2012 – Shelved