Julie 's Reviews > Invisible Girl

Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell

bookshelves: 2021, atria, e-book, netgalley, psychological-thriller

Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewell is a 2020 Atria publication.

Clever and suspenseful!

Three first person voices narrate this enthralling story which examines the various devices humans employ to hide their innermost secrets, darkest pain, obsessions, or deepest character flaws, from society, from family and friends, and maybe even from themselves.

Saffyre Maddox, in treatment for self-harm, is released by her therapist, Roan Fours, before she’s ready. This leads her to stalk him and spy on his family.

Meanwhile, Cate Fours, Roan’s wife, acquired an uneasy feeling about her neighbor, Owen Pick, after several sexual assaults were reported in the area, and her daughter thinks Owen may have been following her home one night, with dark intentions.

Owen, a virgin, living with his aunt, has been let go from his job after being reported for sexual impropriety with his female students. He finds a sympathetic ear after joining an online chat group of ‘incels’.

When Saffyre disappears, key evidence leads investigators to Owen, who then becomes an obvious person of interest...

This is another winner for Lisa Jewell!! The story held my rapt attention from start to finish! The exploration of the darker corners of the internet was chilling. Although, the atmosphere was not as heavy as Jewell’s previous novels, I thought the story was extremely creepy!

I was a tiny bit concerned about the ending after reading a few editorial reviews for this book. I must disagree with the critics in this case.

Okay, sure, in a perfect world, it would end differently- but that’s what made Jewell’s decision so provocative. I thought it was fitting to leave the reader feeling unsettled.

As to the suggestion the conclusion may be weak-as a seasoned crime reader- I guess I must be losing my touch, because I closed the book with a definite shiver running down my spine!!

Fans of domestic and psychological thrillers will enjoy this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Girl.

May 19, 2020 – Shelved
February 4, 2021 – Shelved as: e-book
February 4, 2021 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 4, 2021 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
February 4, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Julie. Glad you enjoyed it 🌺

Julie Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Julie. Glad you enjoyed it 🌺"

Thank so much, Maureen!! 💖

Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) Excellent review, Julie. I think I’d like this one too. I am glad it was a good one for you.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ Ooooh, intriguing review, Julie!

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!💖

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Wonderful review Julie .... love that you loved the ending 💖

Julie Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. I think I’d like this one too. I am glad it was a good one for you."

Thanks so much, Kat!! 💖

Julie Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "Ooooh, intriguing review, Julie!"

Thanks so much, Carol!! 💖

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!💖"

Many thanks, dear Kaceey!! 💖

Julie Sandra wrote: "Wonderful review Julie .... love that you loved the ending 💖"

Thank you very much, Sandra!! 💖

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria I doubt you're losing your touch, likely a different strokes situ. Fantastic review!

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri Terrific review!

Julie Terri wrote: "Terrific review!"

Many thanks, Terri!! 💖

message 14: by Susan's Reviews (new)

Susan's Reviews Excellent review, Julie, but I am going to wait to read this one after COVID Times. I have read a few thrillers, but I need "heartwarming" and "uplifting" right now. I wonder if we will know how to be sociable again? Some people are coping well, but others run for the hills as soon as anyone comes near. I like Lisa Jewell, but dark and sinister will have to wait for a bit. Got plenty of that right here, right now! Stay well, Julie!

Julie Victoria wrote: "I doubt you're losing your touch, likely a different strokes situ. Fantastic review!"

Thanks so much, Victoria, I think I'm just mellowing out a little more these days! 😁💖

Julie Susan's Reviews wrote: "Excellent review, Julie, but I am going to wait to read this one after COVID Times. I have read a few thrillers, but I need "heartwarming" and "uplifting" right now. I wonder if we will know how to..."

Thanks so much, Susan! This one was creepy, but not overly heavy. I thought of it as an escape... But- I have been sticking to cozy whodunits and lighter subject matter when possible.

I was never all that sociable- I'm a hard core introvert, so I've been coping pretty well, to be honest. I do feel bad for those who are going through hard times though. Praying for brighter days ahead! 🙏💖

message 17: by Richard (new)

Richard Great review Julie ........ an author I’ve still to try!

JanB I really enjoyed this one too Julie. A good reminder to avoid critic reviews 😉 Great review!

message 19: by Maureen (new) - added it

Maureen Excellent review Julie, looking forward to reading this one.

message 20: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa ~ Bantering Books Super review, Julie! I'm planning for this one to be my second Jewell read. I'm hoping I'm more impressed by it than I was by "I Found You." :)

Julie Richard wrote: "Great review Julie ........ an author I’ve still to try!"

Thank so much, Richard!! I haven't read any of her early work, but I love her thrillers- I think you might like her too! 😊

Julie JanB wrote: "I really enjoyed this one too Julie. A good reminder to avoid critic reviews 😉 Great review!"

Thanks so much, Jan!! My GR friends are much more reliable!! 💖😁

Julie Maureen wrote: "Excellent review Julie, looking forward to reading this one."

Thanks so much, Maureen!! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this one! 💖

Julie Melissa wrote: "Super review, Julie! I'm planning for this one to be my second Jewell read. I'm hoping I'm more impressed by it than I was by "I Found You." :)"

Thanks so much, Melissa!! This one is not quite as heavy as her previous thrillers- but dark enough for the times we live in. I'm glad you are willing to give her another try! Happy reading! 💖

message 25: by Yun (new)

Yun Awesome review, Julie! So happy to see you enjoyed this! I haven't gotten to this yet, and I'm definitely looking forward to it! :)

Julie Yun wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! So happy to see you enjoyed this! I haven't gotten to this yet, and I'm definitely looking forward to it! :)"

Thanks so much, Yun!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 💖

message 27: by Tina (new) - added it

Tina Nice review Julie!! 💕💐

Julie Tina wrote: "Nice review Julie!! 💕💐"

Thanks so much, dear Tina!! 💖