Rachael's Reviews > The Godfather: 50th Anniversary Edition

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

I thought I'd finally read the book that inspired a masterpiece of a movie. It was a little "pulpier" than I had expected, but I liked it. There are a lot of characters and storylines and sometimes I got lost, but for the most part I was engaged and inspired to keep reading. I enjoyed learning so much more about the characters than what you see in the movie. For example, Johnny Fontane is a pretty major character in the book but doesn't appear too often in the movie. And you get inside Kay's head so much more.

It was a little jarring to be inside of so many character's heads. Not only chapter by chapter, but often within a chapter, or even within a page! At times there was a little whiplash effect and probably something you're taught not to do in writing classes. But I actually found it refreshing, just because I don't see that style too often.

I was surprised that Puzo gleaned all of his information from research -- it seems like such an insider's account of the mob. So I continue to be fascinated with the mafia and the inner workings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Godfather.

May 7, 2020 – Started Reading